Chapter 39 The Final Straw

We reach a landing on the stairs where they turn and finally we are hidden, my vision starts to blur and I reach out and grasp Hunter's shirt back, causing him to stop and turn. I just bury my face into his shoulder and he holds me to him tightly as I continue to shake and silent tears course down my face as I fight for control.

"I-I'm s-sorry." I mumble.

"Shh, it's okay. I should have told them to calm down. Sweetie I'm so sorry." Hunter's voice is soothing as he whispers in my ear, I feel my panic fall back a notch.

"Hunter, I-I don't think I can do this."

"You are doing just fine, don't try to think about it just breathe in and out... in and out."

"You're parents are wonderful but if I can't handle their enthusiasm how am I supposed to deal with your fans?"

"One step at a time remember."

"I know but-"

"Leah, did you know I was engaged before? Or that I had a wedding?.. Well an almost wedding."

"I didn't."

"Right, I can keep a secret. I can keep you quiet and comfortable, trust me."

"I do." I'm closer to calm, at least my palms have stopped sweating like they're twin waterfalls. I pull away just enough to look Hunter in the eye. "You know there's no way I like you as much as you like me?" It's an honest thought and a bit funny if I think about it. Honestly, what am I still doing here?

"I doubt it, why don't you try. Either that or try to feel like you care as much as me."

"I do care, but you always seem to be the one taking care of me."

"For now yes, but I have to. You're so busy caring for everyone else you neglect yourself. Which isn't fair by the way. Someday you'll get to return the favor so don't feel bad now okay?"

"They'll be expecting us back downstairs soon." I can't agree to that but I can't stand to disappoint him.

"Right... Do you want to stay for a movie? Think you can handle it?"

"For them... I'll try." I manage to smile.

"What about me?"

"For you... I won't remind you to get your photo albums from upstairs." Now I grin.

"You're the best." He releases me and takes my hand, we walk back downstairs joined together, his fingers laced with mine.

-----

I keep my head down at the green house the first Monday in December. Tori is on the warpath. Her drama is getting under my skin and I just want her to leave me alone. There've already been rumors going around work, stuff about Hunter and my therapy and how I'm certifiably insane. I never handled girl problems correctly but I never learned how.

I'm working with a fresh set of marigolds which don't want to grow in this horrid weather and really I don't blame them.

The sprouts need a stronger light, it's taken a week to find an open table and I know Tori has been making everything harder. My tools started going missing last week but I won't go to Bill over it. No sense making waves it will just make things worse.

"Leah? I can help with your project now." Sam smiles as he approaches my current work space. There are 4 trays and each one is heavier than it looks.

"Great, one second." I finish centering the final plant. Some might think this kind of thing is tedious but as Hunter has told me time and time again, I am the care giver.