Chapter 40 So Close

Hunter sits on the front steps when I pull up and I shiver for him. It's freezing out, he rubs his hands and stands.

"You didn't have to wait out here." I slam the door as he walks up.

"I wanted to. I missed you." He steps close and I swiftly side step him.

"It's cold, let's get inside." I head for the house.

"Leah?"

I glance back at him but don't slow, when I saw him something happened... I can't place it but I feel strange and I'm afraid of my own thoughts right now. Hunter looks good in his black coat and hat, eyes searching my face.

Once inside we both remove our jackets, Hunter is kind enough to help me with mine.

"Tea?" Hunter calls as he walks into the living room and towards the kitchen. I roam free looking around, it's been a while since I was here last.

"Sure."

"Honey?"

"What?" I ask perplexed.

"In your tea," Hunter pokes his head back in the living room and catches my blush, "oh, not you... Sorry... I-I mean..."

"It's fine and yes." I bend down to scratch Cole behind his ears as he walks up to me wagging his tail.

"So what's up?"

I jump a little as Hunter yells from the other room. "Oh. Not much, work is back to normal. Gordi hasn't had a seizure for a week and I'm finally completely moved out of my apartment."

"That's fantastic!" He comes in and falls down on the couch, he looks tired.

"What about with you?"

"Just doing some stuff in the studio."

"Is it stressful?"

He stops rubbing his temples and looks at me. "No, just hard work."

"Oh... Sorry." I hear the whistling sound of a real tea pot and I smile. Hunter starts to get up and I hold up a hand. "I'll get it, coffee too."

"Sugar?"

I grin as I look back at him. "Yes?"

"No... Not you-"

"Hunter I get it."

"On the counter." Now he's blushing.

"Got it."

I balance the two mugs in one hand and the sugar dish in the other as I walk back in. "Thanks." Hunter accepts his mug and I set the sugar down on the coffee table, carefully sitting next to him.

"So... Um... I was hoping we could talk..." I take a swallow of the crisp, hot tea and resist coughing on the heat.

Hunter slides closer and our knees touch as he pats me on the back.

"Thanks."

"I was hoping we could talk about something too." He says softly.

I swallow the mouthful of tea reflexively, "go ahead." I whisper, stuck staring in his eyes.

"I've got a gig at the Blue Bird on the 29th... I was hoping since it's such a small and intimate venue you would be okay to be there." He looks so hopeful I can't stand to let him down.

My nod causes his face to break out in a giant grin. He takes me in with his blue eyes, seeming to study my eyes, my nose... my lips. Instinctively I moisten them.

"Leah?" He whispers my name and his eyes flick back to mine. With each second he moves closer. "Do you want me to stop?"

"N-no." I put my hand on his right arm which has wrapped itself around my waist. I let out a little gasp as his hand slides over my lower back. His face is now inches from mine, the coffee on his breath reminds me it's Hunter, just Hunter.