Chapter 36 Nashville Symphony

"Why, why... Why, why, why, why, why?" Everything in the store makes me look fat, ugly, ridiculous.

In the dressing room I sit on the stool and tears stream down my face. I never thought it would be this hard, when Hunter called and asked if I would like to hear some jazz music I never dreamed it was for a date, I guess that was stupid on my part.

Usually I have Maggie or Tiffany forcing me to try on stuff... Well not last shopping trip, but then I was feeling confident and bold.

My first instinct is to call Hunter but I don't know if I should. I don't want to tell the girls about the "date" I'm not ready to own up to it, even with my closest friends.

With shaky fingers I punch speed dial 8 and hold the phone up to my ear. "Hi Hunter."

He sounds excited to hear from me even though we just texted this morning. He's out on the road and I won't see him until Friday. The night he's picking me up.. The reason I'm in this state of panic. "What's wrong?"

I didn't have to say anything he knew from the tone of my voice. "I'm not so sure this is a good idea. I don't know if-"

"Leah, calm down. It's all going to be okay, like we talked about... It's just 2 friends going to listen to some music. If anything comes out of it then that's awesome but if not, we'll figure it out. I'm not going to lose you, and I'm not going anywhere."

"Okay."

"Was there anything else?"

I can tell he's busy, I can hear people in the background and I feel guilty for calling. "You're awesome." I say lamely, it's the truth but I don't know if that was the appropriate response.

"Oh I know." He sounds cocky.

"Shut up." I am laughing now and Hunter joins in.

"I'll talk to you later, and stop stressing alright?"

"Got it, chill. I can do that." When I hang up I look in the mirror and see my tears have dried up and I can't wipe the goofy grin off of my face. I take a deep breath and look at the dozen or so hangers that hold dresses around me. None of them work, they are all too much. An idea flashes through my mind and I get up, unzipping the peach colored monster I was trying not to get lost in.

After returning the dresses to the floor I stop by the jewelry counter and find an amber colored gemstone on a gold chain. I'll base my necklace off of this, I know just what to do with it.

-----

"Max please stop jumping." I lift the hem of my skirt as he tries again to leap for my arms. I want to hold him or cuddle with him on the couch but I don't want to get his fur all over me, I doubt even his hair would blend in with my dark brown dress. The stupid curls that I tried to put in kept falling out and so finally I tied it back in a high ponytail and called it good.

Maxwell stops and just looks at me with a dejected look in his eyes before wandering off to sleep next to his food bowl. When I hear a whimper I look over and laugh, "you've eaten already, don't even try."

Waiting is definitely painful, I can't stop pacing in the entryway, checking my makeup to make sure it looks just right. I don't understand why I'm so nervous, it's just Hunter.

Still the knock on the door sends my pulse into a high speed pounding and I feel slightly faint. Cautiously and slowly I open the door and he stands there smiling wide, black suit, black bow tie, classic men's symphony attire.

Without thinking I embrace him and after a shocked second he returns the hug. I guess I can't blame him, I've never been the one to initiate contact. It's just that I've missed him so much, and the thought terrifies me.