Chapter 27 Right Choice?

As I zip up my sleeveless, 60's style, burgundy dress I can't seem to get my mind past the fact that something big is going to happen tonight. I contemplate the choices in front of me, the matching lipstick seems to be too much, it would make me too noticeable.

My hands brush over the full skirt, feeling the smooth cloth under my fingers. Tiffany comes bursting in without knocking. She's only been to my apartment a handful of times and I know it's not what she's used to. Her closet is as big as my living room and kitchen.

"Leah, come on, we need to get going."

"Sorry, it's just taking longer than I thought." I try not to whine. I didn't want to do this charity banquet anyway.

"Well at least you did your hair already." Tiffany crosses the room and examines my French twist. It must meet her satisfaction. She picks up a makeup brush and points to the chair by my mirror.

"Tiff, I can do it!" I grab at her hand but she shakes her head. The dark tendril curls that hang down, framing her face shake with her. The stunning silver earrings have the same grace as the skin tight, glittery, and floor length navy blue dress has.

I don't fight her and soon my lips are a deep shade of red and she sets to work on making my eyes "pop" she works in silence for a while before finally speaking up. "So, Hunter really leaves in the morning?"

"Yeah I guess." I shrug my shoulders.

"Well, I hope he makes an effort to keep in touch."

Again I shrug.

"Hon, I know it's none of my business ... But as a friend I'm asking, what's wrong?"

"I gave Jacob the ring back. Everything is strained between us at times, but at others... I see my best friend and the man I fell in love with. I just don't know anymore."

Tiffany brushes some more eye shadow over my left eyelid and I gladly keep my eyes closed. "How have things been... With the press?"

I let out a calm sigh. "Better, less... I mean, there's at least one person calling every day trying to buy the rights to my life story, or someone jumping out in front of me and starts taking my picture or chasing me down the street."

"Well for what it's worth, I think you handle it very well." She pulls back her hands as I reach up and scratch my nose.

Of course she thinks that. She isn't around at night to hear my screams, she can't feel the blood pounding through my veins every time someone yells 'LEANNE' at me. She can't understand, no one can. It's been a torturous couple of months.

Finally Tiffany steps back as surveys her work. "Beautiful!" She announces, and I blush. "Now come on, Sam is probably honking the horn and shifting the car into gear as we speak." She grabs my hand and literally drags me down to the car.

"Sorry for the wait." I mumble as I slide into the back seat.

"Wow Leah, you look beautiful." Jacob seems breathless as he stares at me. I can't help but smile, he always did know how to make me feel special, even with just a simple sentence or a facial expression.

"Thank you."

He doesn't reach for my hand and I am just fine with that. The four of us start to chat as we drive to the event and when we pull up to Tiffany's parents house I am struck with wonder at the sheer size, not to mention the landscaping that seems to shine brighter in the fading light of the evening.

Jacob lets out a soft and low whistle and I give him a sharp glare. Tiffany may be used to the finer things in life but she often feels guilty that others don't have the same kind of life. Parents who have been together and happy for 30 years, a house to always call home, food in her stomach, and someone to love her. When she confessed that to me a month before the wedding I couldn't believe how lucky Sam was. She earned an immediate place in my heart from then on.

Her father rushes out to the car to greet us, wrapping his daughter in a hug as if he hasn't seen her in ages then he gives Sam a hearty hand shake and Jacob as well. He doesn't stop when he gets to me, his spindly arms encircle me and his mustache tickles as it brushes my cheek. He's a spry and small man with clear blue eyes that seem to hold vast amounts of knowledge.

He ushers us inside and are immediately given the same warm welcome by Glenda, Tiffany's mother. A striking women, who almost looks like Tiffany's twin. The small gray hairs and crows feet by the eyes tell a different story.

There must be close to 50 people already milling about and I am gripped with a small amount of panic. Jacob places his hand on my lower back and guides me around the outside of the tight circle of people.

I stare at the cream colored, felt stilettos and focus on not stumbling.

"Hey there! Leah you look-"

"Hello Hunter." Jacob's voice cuts him off and the two shake hands.

"I didn't think you'd be here tonight." I say, surprised.

"Well, I figured I'd make an appearance. Besides, I couldn't leave without saying goodbye... And maybe ask for a dance?" He holds his hand out to me and I accept it.

Jacob's hand drops and Hunter pulls me out onto the floor. The band plays some classical number and I try to follow Hunter's movements. My heels make us nearly the same hight and when I take my eyes off of our feet I'm looking right into his eyes.

"How are you?" I ask. His eyes look sad and tired, I feel a small pain in the center of my heart and it feels important to know what's going on.

"Do you ever wish... Never mind."

"Hunter, you've been there for me when I needed it most. I want to return the favor."

"You really are amazing." Hunter says softly and I feel a blush come over my face. "It's... Hard to talk about."

"Libby?" I guess, suddenly putting meaning behind the pain I see, I see it whenever I look in a mirror.

Hunter swallows and nods. "But it's more than that... Leah, I think-"

"Mind if I cut in?" Jacob taps on Hunter's shoulder and he smiles and steps aside.

"Fine." I relent. "But we're not done with this conversation." I say pointedly at Hunter.

"Everything alright?" Jacob asks as he pulls me away from Hunter, he's always been light on his feet.

"Yeah, Hunter just needs some advice."

"From you?"

I giggle.

"Leah love," his grip tightens, "it sounds so good to hear you laugh... I was debating something tonight, but I think I know what I'm going to do." Jacob releases me and I look at him in confusion. He falls onto one knee and grabs for his side pocket. "I honestly thought I blew the one chance I would ever have at happiness and love, but Leah... Love, we have a second chance. I can help you to love again. Please, say yes to this one last time and I promise to be there for you always."

Jacob made 2 very large mistakes, but 1 extremely smart move. Surrounded by people it would just about be impossible to say no, but I hate attention and we now have the entire room staring at us, waiting on my response.

The second mistake is Hunter, my eyes flash from where Jacob kneels with a hopeful look on his face up to Hunter's. I immediately wish he wasn't here, that I wasn't here. I can't breathe, my head spins and I know I'm running out of time.

Half of my mind is being rational, the other is going completely berserk. Like sifting rocks from rich soil I start to sort.

Here is a man offering to love me, someone who has loved me before and still does. Someone who makes me feel safe and knows who I am, Jacob is safe, Jacob is home. How can I say no to such promises?

'But he hurt me. But he was sick. But you promised him forever. But you l- no, you don't love him, you don't love anyone... Not like that. You can't.' I breathe in and out.

"Yes." I whisper. Closing my eyes, feeling like one weight has been lifted and one another settles right in the same place. Jacob puts the ring on my finger and grabs my waist. He lifts me clear off of the ground and I scream in shock, surprised he can still do it.

As he spins me around and around I look over at Hunter, he gives me a sad little smile and walks to the exit.

Wait, he can't leave, he didn't finish talking to me, he didn't say goodbye.