Chapter 25 Taking A Little Side Tour

"Seriously Hunter! You can't help on your own lawn, we have safety codes!" I laugh.

"That's not good enough. What's the real reason?" Hunter scrunches up his face at me as he drives his shovel into the ground. His eyes dance with laughter.

"Because you're paying us to!"

He throws down his shovel in mock defeat. "Fine! But I'm not leaving." He reclines on the grass and crosses his legs as he soaks up the sun. I wipe my brow and try not to throw dirt on him. "So, how's everything? With Jacob?"

I avert my eyes and focus on prying a rather large rock from the earth. "He's with his mom, we're both taking some time off to adjust."

"Adjust to what?"

"Us... What we were, what we are going to be."

Hunter grunts slightly and picks a dandelion, twirling it between his fingers.

I'm very suspicious of Sam and Al this week. Since the job started they seem to be leaving me alone far too often and assigning me way too close to the house.

"You know, I've always liked dandelions." Hunter says to the bright yellow flower. "But everyone says they are weeds."

"The definition of a weed is a plant, or vegetation, that grows in a place where it is not wanted." I recite. "Sorry, I read a lot."

"Really? I didn't know that."

"Living in someone else's world is easier than living in your own at times."

"Like a dandelion growing where it wants to?"

The shovel stops and I look over at him. "Yeah, I guess."

"So are you a weed Leah?" He regards me as he continues to turn the flower, gently brushing the petals against his fingers.

"No, I'm not. A weed is thought of as a free spirit, I'm definitely not one." I laugh and look down, my shovel starts again and I wipe sweat from my brow.

"But aren't they also known as loners? Going against the grain. That sounds like you."

"I've seen a field of weeds,"
I shrug, "pretty but unwanted. And not alone."

"Well I guess I'm partial to lone weeds. A spot of yellow in a patch of green sure draws the attention."

He's speaking in riddle and I don't like it. I turn away to check the depth of the hole I've been working on. I feel like he's talking about me and it makes me uncomfortable, what does he mean? I think as I measure with the handle of my shovel.

"I'll always pick a dandelion over a rose." He says this softly before standing up.

"So if dandelions are your favorite flowers then why don't we just sprinkle them among your flower beds?" I try to lighten the deep and personal moment with a joke.

"No, it takes only one to catch my attention, too many would lose beauty."

I straighten up and grab my tools. The truck is only a short walk and it's probably about time to start packing up. I pull my phone out and see that it is indeed 5.

"Hey, I don't suppose you've got plans tonight?" He hedges as he follows me to the truck, I notice he's picked up my rake and gloves.

"No... Why?"

"Well... With everything that's happened... I haven't seen very much of you. I was hoping to get the chance to talk before I left."

"Oh!" I put my head down as the words and his tone reach me, he's leaving in 3 weeks. I keep forgetting he's not going to be here forever. He has his own life to live and that life doesn't involve making sure I'm alright at every second of the day. "What did you have in mind?"