Chapter 10 No Energy, No Fight

I stifle an exhausted yawn. The day's light is almost gone.

Al took Gordi in for a doctor's appointment after lunch so I had a good afternoon of hard work.

Tori kept me behind to clean up, it may be a 40 minute drive back with just Tori and I not talking to each other but I pretend I don't mind.

I come back around to the front of the house and stop. The truck is gone. Tori couldn't have left me, even she isn't that mean... right?

"Hey, I thought you left with the others."

I look up at the porch and see Lynette drying her hands on a towel. "Um..."

"Hunter took her over to his place for some landscaping advice."

"Oh!" That makes sense. "Do you know when they'll be back?"

"No, but if you'd like I could call and ask."

"It's fine." I look down at my hands.

"Hey, you must be starving, come on in, we're about to eat dinner, come on." She urges.

My stomach growls and I don't put up a fight. I follow her into the kitchen and go to the bathroom to wash up, careful to keep the mess in the sink and to clean up when I'm done.

"Hi." I shyly greet the man sitting at the table. I've met Leo before but only briefly.

"Hey, glad you could join us." He stands and comes to hug me.

"Oh, I'm a mess!" I warn.

"It's just dirt." He hugs me anyway.

Lynette sets a dish on the table. She removes the lid and an amazing aroma fills the room. "Go ahead, dig in."

I listen as the two talk about how their days have been. The casserole is indeed amazing. I finally work up the courage to speak up and say so.

"Thanks hon." She looks genuinely proud.

"So, tell us a little about yourself." Leo says.

I pause. They're such nice people. I can talk to them, I just need to try, I take a breath.

"Um... lets see, I'm 23; I've lived in Tennessee my whole life... I uh... I like dirt." I finish with a shrug. This is the most I've said to either of them probably combined. I clench my fists under the table to keep from shaking.

My generic and cryptic answer receives a chuckle. They don't pressure me for any more information.

When we are done eating I help clean up. Hunter and Tori still aren't back yet, I keep looking out the window.

"Well, should we go get them?"

I turn and look at Leo who stands by the door, holding a set of keys.

"Hunter left his car so let's take it for a spin."

I start to put on my shoes and he drops the keys in my lap. "Oh... I couldn't." I pick them up and hold them out to him.

"Nope, he left it, if we crash it then it's his fault."

I smile at his smile.

"It's just a couple of miles." Leo explains, he directs me to a driveway not 5 miles from the end of theirs.

As we get out of the car I hear Tori's distinct laugh, we walk around to the side of the house to find them crouching over a row of freshly trimmed bushes. "I think we're done." Tori announces, sitting back on her heels.

"Hello there, anybody home?" Leo greets them.

"Oh, hey dad." Hunter stands and helps Tori to her feet. "Sorry, we didn't' mean to take this long." He apologizes, looking at me. The only light comes from the inside of the house and a single yard light.