Chapter 57 Fight For Love

I don't care what I'm wearing, I don't care if I'm alone or if no one notices the girl in a light green dress sitting at the table in the corner watching everything around her.

"Are you sure you're okay going by yourself?" Hunter asked me this morning when he called before I had to get ready.

"Yes. Don't worry about me. I still don't think weddings are my thing but I'm not sad anymore." I could hear him smile at my words. He knows he's the cause of my happiness.

"Alright, well if you need anything just call... Even if you talk into my voice mail... Well, I love hearing you babble.

My cheeks warmed and I told him it was time to get going.

"Leah?" He asked loudly after we had said goodbye.

I pushed the phone back next to my ear. "Yeah?"

"Pay attention, next one is ours." I heard him chuckle and hang up and I waited for the rush of panic or regret, but none came.

The smile still hasn't left my face. Through the ceremony I didn't shed a single tear, dropping the cake off and watching them look excitedly at it made me beam brighter, even dancing with Gordi and Blake in front of a crowd couldn't erase the good feeling that seemed to lace through my veins with my blood.

"If I didn't know any better I'd say this  was your wedding." Maggie returns my smile as I sit at our table.

"Why would you say that?" I laugh and try to keep my hands away from the ring that dangles on a long gold chain around my neck.

She looks at me long and hard and for a second I'm afraid she can see everything and is going to reveal my secret. "No reason..."

I inwardly sigh with relief. "So, what time do you want us to come next week?"

"Sixish... Hunter's flight gets in at 3 but he's going to be pretty tired."

"Okay. How are things between you two anyway?"

I smile at her question and that seems enough of an answer.

"May I have this dance?" Al stands over her and extends a hand as 'Everything' by Michael Bublé starts and I nod when Maggie asks silent permission to leave me alone.

Someone comes up to me and asks me to dance, I decline with a polite smile and shake of the head. Sitting by myself watching Al, Maggie, Kenny, Gemma, Sam, and Tiffany all dancing in their proper pairs, I don't mind. Even when Blake and Gordi dance by I just feel warmth in my heart.

I look at my phone, it's close to 12, Hunter should be finishing up his show soon. Then he will take time for his fans, then himself, then me. He knows better to call me before he showers and eats because we always end up talking until one of us falls asleep and on concert nights it's almost always him.

The song ends and while the children remain on the dance floor, the couples come back to the table and all sit.

"Too bad Hunter couldn't come." Tiffany remarks, shooting me a pointed look.

"He's busy, I get it. Besides, it's nice to be with all of you by myself.

"Not for much longer." I hear Tiffany mumble and without a second of hesitation I apply a strong bit pressure on her toes under the table with the flat heel of my shoe. She bites her lip and rolls her eyes at me, masking the pain.

Just then Tiffany's father comes strolling past and stops at our table. You can see the pride in his eyes as he squeezes his daughter's shoulder and asks her how she's doing. He looks at Sam with respect now that he didn't really display around the time they got married. While Sam was and is one of the sweetest guys I know he's modest and very humble and his demeanor seems very plain at first but once you get to know him you find him complex and full of life. Tiffany saw it, and I'm happy to see the rest of her family fall in line.