Chapter 38 Dinner With The Folks

I've met Leo and Lynette before, I shouldn't be so wigged out. Still, my mind spins as I check my reflection one last time.

"Leah! Hunter's here!"

As I descend the stairs I keep my eyes on my feet, not daring to look at Hunter or Tiffany.

"Have fun you guys, have her back by-"

"Tiffany!" I shrug on my coat and shoot her a glare. She's beaming, eyes flashing between Hunter and me.

"I'm just kidding have fun."

I walk out to Hunter's car and get in before Tiffany has the chance to do anything else embarrassing. She's making me feel like a teenager again and I don't like it. "You okay?" Hunter asks as he gets in and buckles up.

"Yeah, don't worry. I'm fine."

"Leah..."

"Sorry!" I snap, "I'm really on edge today. Just... Let me calm down."

"Fine." He shifts and we take off, there's a chill in the car that doesn't come from the frigid twilight air outside.

The next time I glance over at him, his jaw is set and I do a double take at the speedometer. "Watch it!" I point and he seems to come out of a daze and realizes he's 20 miles over the speed limit.

"Sorry." He hits the breaks and I jolt forward.

"You know, maybe tonight isn't the best time... What if-" I stop speaking when Hunter hits the steering wheel with the palm of his right hand.

"Sorry, sorry," he pulls over, "maybe you're right. The wheel starts to turn. "I'll take you home."

"No, I didn't mean to... I guess it's just..." I take in air, trying not to lose it.

"I'm so stupid." Hunter mutters under his breath.

"What?"

"I've messed everything up."

"What are you talking about?"

"I got too excited about this and I pushed you. I can't believe I didn't see this coming."

I stare at him, dumbfounded. "Hunter if anyone is to blame it's me, I just don't know what I'm doing."

"I guess that makes two of us." He sighs.

"You know what? Let's go tonight, I would love to see Leo and Lynette again." I try to smile.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, they are expecting us."

Again the car does a u-turn and we are right back on track. "That's a nice scarf." Hunter says absentmindedly, he's trying to keep this from being awkward and I'm grateful.

"Thanks, it's actually really old. I left it at 'Bookshelves' back in high school and it was still in the lost and found when I was straightening things up last week." I run my fingers over the soft, warm material.

"Oh wow, been going back often?"

"Whenever I can. Mr Grumby is great. He's always up for chess or a cup of tea... Plus it got lonely in that big house all alone."

"Hey now." Hunter lets out an indignant chuckle.

"Well, you're not always around and I can't just bother you constantly."

"I wouldn't mind." He mumbles.

"Watch it. We're going to your mother's house and I doubt she likes her son speaking under his breath, mumbling is a bad habit. I close my eyes, cutting myself off mid giggle. I don't like when I sound like a 15 year old bubble head. "Hey Hunter," I clear my throat, "why did you say it's your fault?"