Chapter 4

Samson

Dinner with my friend is really nice and I have him come to the bar with me so it looks like I'm becoming a regular. I know that she is off tonight, so we sit at the bar and have a drink talking about old times. Afterwards, I go to my lonely quiet house full of memories and go to bed.

While in bed tonight, instead of thinking about how lonely my house is without my wife here, I think about what I'm going to do tomorrow and I'm planning my day. Meeting Carmen has changed my life in just a couple of days. I can't wait to get to know her.

I spend the week catching up with friends that I haven't seen since the funeral. I feel like I'm getting my life back again. I still miss her every day and think about her all the time, but it's with love and thankfulness that I had the five years with her that I did, rather than the hopelessness and sadness that I was feeling just last week.

We have a guy's night on Saturday and go to the bar where Carmen works. The four of us sit at the bar because there is a different person serving drinks at the tables. It's very busy tonight and she's on the move. She walks over to us, "Hey guys, what can I get you tonight." She takes all of our orders and tells us that she'll be right back. "Whoo! She's hot!" Kyle says. "She looks like that cartoon character from the movie Brave." Ray adds.

"Who's that? And why does she have to look like a cartoon character?" I ask defensively. "It's not a bad thing. My daughter loves this Disney movie called Brave. The lead character looks just like her except for the eyes. Her eyes are green and the character's eyes are blue." He shows me a picture of the character on his phone after he pulls it up. I look at the picture and look at her and there is a strong resemblance. I mean, Carmen is much prettier. Her hair is waist length and red, but her curls although wild, are smooth and even.

She brings over our drinks and as she sets mine down, I see recognition lighten her gaze. "You were here the other night, weren't you? Samson, right?" I nod, "Right. How are you tonight?"

"I'm doing very well. Glad you came in again." She gives me a smile and then turns to the whole group, "If there's anything else you need, my name is Carmen, just give me a call." She smiles again and walks over to the next customer.

"So you were in here the other night?" Ray asks. "Yep. Brock and I came in for a drink after dinner the other night. It was a lot quieter then." I answer. "We actually had a conversation with her." Brock adds. He looks over at me, "Did you find out if she was okay after she left?" I nod, "I walked over to her and touched her arm and she took me down."

They all look at me like I'm crazy. "What do you mean took you down?" Kyle asks. "Instead of calling her name, I walked over and touched her arm, before I knew it, I was looking at the sky and she was standing on my neck." I answer proudly. They guys all start laughing. "That little thing took you down? That's hilarious! You won't ever live this one down." Ray says.

"I don't want to either. I'm proud that a woman can do that to me. That means that I don't have to worry too much when she's out and about. If she can take care of herself, that's a big turn on." I tell them. I don't hear anything from them so I look up. They're all looking at me with varying degrees of shock on their faces. Brock is the only one who doesn't look surprised because he was here with me the other day.

"What?" I ask. "You like her." Kyle states. Ray nods in agreement. "So? There's not much I can do about it, is there?" I say. "There is something you can do about it. Talk to her and then ask her out." Ray says. "It's too soon after my wife, guys." I'm looking at my beer picking the label. "I told you this before and I'll tell you again. There is no set time frame in which you cannot be attracted to other women. If you are attracted to her, spend more time here and get to know her and then ask her out. Take it slow." Brock says and the other guys nod in agreement.