Chapter 9

Carmen

The night winds down and when it's time for the kids to go to bed, they ask if they can stay up for a little while longer so we can watch Brave. Melanie reminds Shannon that she left it over her friend's house when she spent the night last week. Deflated, they all give me a hug and go to bed. After they get the kids down, we sit down and have a glass of wine, talking a little bit before I decide that we need to go. I look over at Mrs. Mayfield who seems to be fading fast.

Before we leave, Melanie makes me take everyone's telephone numbers and have me promise to meet the girls for lunch tomorrow. When we get into the car and start down the street, Mrs. Mayfield says, "I approve of your new friends. We can move in two weeks." I hear an audible sigh of relief from Tyson in the back seat.

We spend the next two weeks packing and getting all of Mrs. Mayfield's apartment in order. After hearing what we're doing when I had lunch with them on Saturday, the girls insisted on helping. Even Brianne seems to be friendlier towards me.

The day comes when Mrs. Mayfield and Tyson are leaving for good. Akemi left the day after the barbeque because she had to go back to school. Everyone shows up and the guys carry all of the boxes out to the moving truck. When we are all finished and have a light lunch, they put muffin in her carrier and put her in the cab. I walk over and hug Mrs. Mayfield with tears in my eyes, "I'm going to miss you so much!"

"I'm going to miss you also sweetie. We'll talk every day, okay?" I nod my head in her shoulder. "All those new friends that you have are going to take care of you. I know they will. You won't have time to miss me. Take care of yourself, okay?" I nod again. We pull back and she walks over and gets into the cab. They pull off waving. While I'm waving, I feel an arm come around my waist. I glance at Samson out of the corner of my eye. I need someone to lean on right now and I lay my head on his shoulder and take the comfort that he's offering me. His other arm comes around me and we stand there for a few minutes until I pull back. "Let's go inside." He says quietly. I nod and we walk up the stairs to my apartment.

"This is a nice apartment. How can you handle this on what a bartender makes?" Brianne asks. "You would be surprised how much I make being a bartender. Almost as much as I made when I was a n-." I couldn't finish what I was saying because a pain like no other hit my head. I moan and sit down on the couch. Samson is there shortly after with a couple of ibuprofen and a bottle of water. I pop the ibuprofen in my mouth and wash it down with the water. He sits down beside me and starts running his fingers through my scalp. It feels so good, I lay my head back and let him do his work.

After a few minutes the pain starts to subside and I lift my head. "Thanks." I mumble. I look up and everyone is staring at us. "What?" I ask. "What is going on with you and how does Samson know what to do for it?" Melanie asks. "I can't really talk about it. I'm not being rude, I just can't talk about it."

"She looked like she had a headache so I went to find some aspirin." Samson says. My phone buzzes in my pocket. I pull it out and read the text I have from Agent Yard.

AY: Go ahead and tell them.

Me: How much should I tell them?

AY: All of it.

I take a deep breath, "I just received permission to tell you all everything." They all lean forward expectantly. "Remember the doctor's clinic explosion?" They all nod sadly. "I was the only survivor of that bombing. But I have amnesia, so the FBI is keeping watch over me until I regain my memory and can tell them who did the bombing because where they found me, I would have been able to see them. They did some sort of test on me and determined that I wasn't the bomber." I shrug at that because I didn't understand it either.

"A side effect of the amnesia is that when something is familiar from my past, I get a headache, which is why I got the headache when you told me about your wife." I feel the pressure in the back of my head again. I feel Samson's fingers in my scalp rubbing again so I fight off the pain and enjoy him rubbing my head. "Do you have any questions?"

"Why did they say that there were no survivors?" Ray asks. "For my protection. The bombers took my ID and the keys to my house and car. When they found me, I had nothing on me. They had to do a fingerprint search on me to find out who I am. They also did it, so I wouldn't get bombarded with questions from the families of the people who were inside, since I can't remember anything." I answer.

"So you have agents with you all of the time?" Rose asks. I nod, "I do. They aren't in your face, but they follow me everywhere I go. My apartment is wired and has cameras all over. I even have trackers on my person so they won't lose me."

"You don't have any questions, Samson?" Brianne asks. "I do, but you see what happens when she talks about that time. I'm going to wait until she gets her memory back. Meanwhile, I'll be the best friend I can be to her." He says. I'm very grateful for him not trying to force anything out of me.

"She needs to get some rest. Let's get out of here." Melanie says. We stand up and everyone gives me a hug and leaves except for Samson. "Do you mind if I stay here tonight? I really don't want to leave you alone tonight. It'll make me feel better if I'm here with you."

I'm grateful for the offer, and I really don't want to be in the apartment alone tonight. "Thanks, I would like that. I just changed the sheets in the spare bedroom and I'll set out some towels for in the morning. I really appreciate this." I tell him. "Let me run out to the car and get my bag. I'll be right back." He says as he walks towards the door. He walks out and is back quickly. "It's still a little early, do you want to put on your pj's and we can watch a movie until it's time to go to sleep?"

"Okay." I answer. He follows me to the spare bedroom and I leave him there going to my bedroom. I put on a pair of pajama pants and a tank top and brush my teeth before going back into the living room. I walk over and sit on the couch beside him. He's already turned on the television and is flipping through channels. We agree on a comedy and sit back to watch it.

"Carmen. Carmen." I hear coming through the fog that is sleep. I slowly open my eyes and I find that my head is on Samson's shoulder. I lift my head, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to fall asleep on your shoulder."

"You are fine. I was just waking you to tell you the movie is over and it's time to go to bed." He says. I sit up and stretch, "Thanks. Good night." We get up and go to our separate rooms. I'm back to sleep before my head hits the pillow.