"Quin!" Raine threw arms around his neck.

"You're an ass," his voice was muffled by her hug.

"I love you," Raine smiled. He was the only person who made it so easy for those words to roll off her tongue.

Quin frowned, "It smells like... vagina in here," and then tilted his head and observed her messy hair, "Wait, didn't I see you leave with Chris?"

The corners of Raine's lips slyly turned upwards. In an attempt to hide the permanent smile, she turned towards the small kitchen to grab two glasses from the cupboard. However, Quin eagerly followed.

He let out an over dramatic gasp, "You and Chris?"

Raine nodded and then quickly added, "Just a hookup."

"But you never bring them back to your place..." Quin pondered aloud as if Raine wasn't there, "...Except for when you accidentally brought Cindy back."

Raine rubbed the back of her neck, "Are you still mad about that?"

Quin sized her up. The woman before him had grown so much and so little in the last few years. She became self sufficient and built a company from scratch. Yet, she still lacked self awareness.

Quin sighed as he walked over to the coffee table and placed the bottle on top, "I'm not mad about Cindy, I'm mad about the fact that you let Scarlet talk you into trying a dangerous drug. What would have happened if you overdosed? No one would have known what the hell you were on!"

Raine gave him a solemn nod, "I know I should have told you," and then plopped onto the couch.

"Next time, just let me know," Quin shook his head as he joined her in the love-seat. So I can check up on you.

"Okay Dad," Raine smiled at his concern.

Quin rolled his eyes, "Whatever."

The two sat on the couch and tore into the champagne.

"Cheers to Hush," Quin sat up with his chest puffed out and determined eyes, "I'm so proud of you."

"Cheers to Hush," Raine clinked their glasses together.

"I remember how long you'd lock yourself in here for just to work on stuff," Quin tilted his head and stared as if he were looking far away, "I can't believe it was two years ago."

Raine took a moment to enjoy the aroma of her champagne and then took the first sip.

It was way too hot for an average spring day and Raine was dying to get away from the heat outside. She cursed herself for having to return to the grocery store after forgetting to buy the milk she initially went there for. Instead, the munchies had gotten the best of her. She had ended up with energy drinks, pepperoni sticks, beef jerky, and potato chips by the time she got back to her dorm. Reluctantly, she trudged back to the store.

Raine pulled out her phone as she re-entered the grocery store. She texted Stacy to rant about how she forgot to buy milk after she went to the store the first time.

Stacy at 3:33pm: You're a complete idiot. Gee, how much didja smoke? :P did you save me any?

Raine at 3:33pm: Tons. Business has been slow so I have about 2 Os. Why don't you come over? :)

Over course of a year, Raine and Stacy had grown closer to each other, despite the limited amount of time they spent together. They went from casually talking after their hookups about things they found hot, to things they valued in life and in relationships, to intimate heart to hearts about what they wanted their future to look like together. Raine learned that Stacy loved to explore various outlier towns and cities and that she was way too caring for her own good. She'd often put her ill mother's needs before her own well-being. Sometimes, Raine envied their relationship. Although Raine and her own mother weren't close, she respected the older woman's devotion to her mom.

Stacy at 3:34pm: I wish babe but I'm at my mom's. I miss and love you so much though. Are you home right now?

Raine made her way all the way to the back where the dairy was stored, but as she was typing her response, she could have sworn she had walked past an aisle where she thought she saw Stacy. She doubled back to find her girlfriend in her usual biker jacket, picking out canned soups. A smile crept across Raine's face. God she's cute.

Raine approached her from behind and snaked an arm around Stacy's waist, "Hey babe."

Stacy let out a yelp and Raine felt her back stiffen. Stacy turned away from her girlfriend and shook her head slightly.

"W-what are you doing here?" Stacy stuttered quietly as her eyes darted around.

Raine's eyebrows furrowed toward each other and her lips became a flat line.

"Forgot to get milk..." Raine blinked a few times and blatantly asked, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong, it's just that my mom's waiting for me and I really have to get going," Stacy said in a near whisper, and took a cautious step back from her.

She said she was already at her mom's. Raine felt a knot form in her stomach. She took a step forward and leaned in to kiss Stacy. Raine felt trembling lips against her and quickened inhales from the older woman. Maybe something's up with her mom. In an effort to relax her lover, she intertwined her fingers with Stacy's and felt a cold stone between her own fingers. Raine's eyes widened and before she could pull away, Stacy had retracted her hands and used them to shove the younger girl away.

Raine stared at her own open palms for an answer and avoided looking into Stacy's eyes as if she were afraid of what she might see.

It was the sound of an oncoming cart screeching to a stop that prompted her to look up. An angry woman stormed over, her face beat red and her nose scrunched. She looked familiar, but Raine couldn't decipher where she knew her from.

"Why are you touching her? Who the fuck are you?" the woman rushed to Stacy's side in clicking heels, her hair whipping in the air and all.

It all came flooding back to Raine. It was the woman who yelled at Stacy the first time she went into the glass building.

Raine let out a nervous laugh and tried to sound as confident as possible, "I'm Raine, her girlfriend. You?"

The woman looked like she'd tasted something bitter. She crossed her arms and stared deep into Raine's soul.

"Oh, I remember you... let me formally introduce myself. I'm Sabrina," her lips pursed like the arc of a rainbow as she sneered at Raine, "Stacy's wife."

The next seconds felt like an eternity to Raine. She felt tiny compared to Sabrina. She looked to Stacy, whose face was completely discolored. Raine tried to make eye contact, but Stacy seemed preoccupied with fidgeting with something on her hand. She was spinning the ring on her finger. Raine felt her ears pounding and her hands shake uncontrollably. I need to get out of here.

Raine swallowed hard and forced herself to stare at Sabrina. She bit her lip hard enough to draw the taste of iron into her mouth, trying her hardest not to show any sign of weakness as her throat squeezed itself shut. Her mind raced. Stacy's mom. The one day dates in nearby towns. Her eyes watered and she took a step back. Don't cry.

Raine cracked her knuckles into a fist as the heat built up in her cheeks. She brushed past both of them, causing them to step aside with the contact of her shoulders. The adrenaline coursed through her body and her ears were flushed. She bent her knees and gripped her hands underneath the nearly empty shopping cart Sabrina had been pushing. With one heave, she sent the cart flying into the air and onto its side. It was like pans were being smashed against each other with a mighty force followed by the clanking sound of a hinged flip-up seat that bounced forward and back.

"Fuck you all!" she screamed as she stormed out of the grocery store in a run.

Raine sighed as she polished off her glass of champagne, "It feels like it wasn't that long ago."  

Drop me a comment because this chapter was hella intense.