48. The Dinner Disappointment

The worrying of yesterday were gone away but was replaced by something else today.

Nerves.

Trish was going to be here soon and my dad not long after. If I felt like this when she met my Dad, I'd be worse when I meet hers. I told my Dad a few days ago that she was coming over and asked him not to be wearing his uniform when he arrived.

"Does she have a problem with the law?" He asked crossing his arms over his chest.

"No Dad it's not that. It's just that before I met her she had a friend who was killed by the police so she doesn't trust them." I said thinking of a lie on the spot.

"What's her friends name? I could ask a friend of mine to open the case and di-"

"No no no don't do that." I cut him off. All I needed was him asking about her 'friend' and her not knowing what he was talking about. "Don't mention I told you any of this. It's a topic we don't talk about."

He agreed right away saying he would change before leaving the station.

I still had no idea how she would react when I told her my Dad happens to be a cop. I should've told her long ago. I heard a knock on the door meaning Trish was here.  She was wearing jeans and a white shirt which blended with her skin. My heart increased looking at her.

"Come in." I gestured before closing the door behind her. I watched her  eyes wander around the house.

"I like your house." She commented as she took her shoes off.

"Thanks. My Dad will be home soon so we have some time alone." I murmured cupping her cheek before kissing her slowly. She opened her mouth, wasting no time teasing, smiling against my lips. I sighed pulling away pressing my forehead against hers. Five months it took me to be able to kiss her and hold her.

"Want a tour of the house?" I asked pulling away. She nodded smiling slightly.

I showed her the living area, kitchen, the decent size backyard, downstairs and upstairs.

"I'd thought your room would be clean." She teased as she looked around at the mess from the doorway.

We were just sitting down at the kitchen when I heard my Dad come in.

"Cole?" My Dad's voice rang down the hallway.

"In here Dad." I called as I heard him approach. Trish and I both looked up at him as he entered the room, making my mouth fall open. He was in his uniform. I looked at Trish seeing her eyes zone in on the badge pinned on his chest.

"Sorry kiddo, I forgot to bring extra clothes to work." My Dad said before turning to Trish.

"Hello young lady. I'm Greg Hall, Cole's father." He said extending his hand to her. She quickly plastered on a fake smile before shaking his hand.

"I'm Trish Blake, Cole's girlfriend." She said before letting his hand go. He smiled back politely back at her.

"I'm going to quickly change and then we'll go out for dinner." My Dad said as he turned back towards the hallway. I didn't meet Trish's gaze until I heard my dad's footsteps upstairs . She was glaring at me, her blue green eyes hard. I opened my mouth to try to explain why I hadn't told her but she raised her eyebrow at me making her look more threatening.

"Let's go guys." My Dad called making me able to break away from the intensity. My Dad, who didn't notice anything different in Trish, asked her questions about herself as we drove. It continued that way all throughout dinner. Trish asked questioned about how long he had been on the force and how he got interested in this career.

"Always wanted to do it." My Dad answered smiling, which she returned only fake. I was dreading dinner ending not knowing how'd she react.

" What about your Mom, Cole? Is she still working?" Trish asked taking a sip of her water.

Out of all the questions to ask, she had to ask that one. A frown came upon my face as I explained to her. "My Mom died giving birth to me. I never got to know her." I said watching her facial expression. Her face morphed into one of great pain before going back into a stone like expression.

"I'm sorry." She said meeting my eyes and squeezing my hand. The dark cloud that was over the table lessened slightly.

"She was a beautiful woman." My Dad said causing Trish to look at him. "Very intelligent. You would've liked her." He said quietly before looking at me. "Your mother would be very proud of this young lady right here." He nodded towards Trish. A real smile crept on her face. 

Dinner finished not that long after and before I knew it I was sitting alone with Trish in my father's SUV. I looked at her seeing that she was staring straight ahead at our home.

"When were you going to tell me?" She asked meeting my gaze.

"I don't know. I should've told you months ago." I said feeling the guilt rising up in me.

She snorted, before placing her hand on the handle. "I don't know whether to be more mad because I'm your girlfriend or that I'm your gang leader." She said before opening the door and slamming it behind her.

I considered going after her but decided against it. I should've told her months ago. Now one of the only good things that happened in the last two weeks walked away from me.