46. Pit Bull

"I don't like this." 

"You don't have to like it. I'm doing it anyways." Dakota said before pulling the black hood of her sweater over her head. We were on our way to plant the records and Dakota volunteered to do it. I don't like it but she's the smallest out of all of us and quick on her feet. She'd have a better chance of getting out before she got caught.

We were in one of Austin's black SUV' s with Cole driving, me in the passenger and Dakota in the back. The others were in their separate cars and were on the way. We would be parked around the corner of Zeke's house while Austin and his crew would be up the street. Theo and everyone was at a gas station a block away. They would only come if we needed their help. They didn't like the idea of being away from the action but they reluctantly said they would stay put.

"It's a go." Jhene voice sounded through the walkie talkie that they had in the car.

I turned around to face my best friend. I wasn't worried about the plan not working but I was worried for Dakota.

"Be safe." Cole spoke taking the words I was going to say out of my mouth.

"I will be." She said with a tight smile before opening the door and slipping out into the dark. We watched her walk till the corner of Zeke's street until slipping around the corner.

"This is a really good plan." I said trying to calm myself. This was unlike me to feel like this.

"Thanks." Cole responded before grabbing my hand off my lap. "Everything's going to be okay. You're not one to worry over, why the change?"

"I wasn't before." I admitted to him. "It's because thinking about it and then being here is different."

"Everything's going to be okay." He repeated giving my hand a squeeze. "We'll get through this just like all the other stuff that's happened the last five months." I nodded my head. We were silent for a few minutes before the walkie crackled out coming Becky's voice.

"We have a problem. Looks like his mom decided to come home early."

"Fuck." I said, my nerves spiking. I fished my phone out of my pocket sending a message to Jacob telling them to move closer. He responded immediately and in a few minutes I saw Becky's familiar Range Rover pull up across from us.

"Just wait it out. We haven't heard anything from inside the house and Dakota hasn't said anything." Austin's voice came out confidently. We waited and my nerves grew by the second. I glanced at the clock to see thirty minutes had gone by and still no sign of Dakota.

"Do something!" I hissed into the walkie only to see Dakota's small figure run around the corner and quickly hop into the car.

"What the hell happened?" I demanded as Cole went speeding off.

"They have a fucking dog that's what! The stupid thing chased me around the house a few dozen times until I was able to barricade myself in Zeke's room. I heard his mom come in making me remove the barricade and hop out the window before I could get caught."

My hand, which was still on the button on the walkie enabling everyone to hear. "So you're saying a Pug could of ruined this whole plan?" Paul's voice sounded through.

"It was a Pit Bull." Dakota said as I watched her run a hand through her hair in the mirror.

There was a small snort in response before a fitful of laughter sounded through. I heard Becky's cackle mixing with Jacobs snorts and Thayer's booming laugh as the tension disappeared. I couldn't help my own grin break through as Cole laughed along.

"It's not funny guys!" Dakota fumed, only making them laugh harder. Her small hands reached through to the space between Cole and I, turning off the walkie cutting them off mid laugh.

"It's totally not funny." She grumbled as Cole parked outside our home. The others went inside now in high spirits that today's plan was a success.

"Thank you guys." I said as I approached Austin's window.

"It's no problem Taze you know that. Come to us for anything gang related or not." He responded, as responses from everyone else came out the window. I grinned at them before stepping back and watch them drive off. I walked towards the doors seeing Cole was waiting for me.

"We should go out and celebrate tomorrow. Just you and I." He breathed into my ear pulling me close.

"Okay what do you have in mind?" I asked pulling back slightly.

"Movie?"

"Sounds good." I replied before he kissed me.