Chapter 30 (Zach)

“Whispers of Hope”

2011 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 30 (Zach)

I wore a path in the carpet by pacing back and forth across the room like a mad man.  It had been well over and hour since Antonio had last taken Marissa into the bedroom and closed the door.  More than anything I just wanted to be in that room, holding her hand and making sure that she pulled through this.  She had to make it.  But Antonio had told me that it would be best for me to  wait outside, more like ordered me to wait outside while the fate of my mate was left in his hands.

It went against everything in me to let Antonio take her from me but something deep down told me to trust him. Marissa was his daughter and for all of his faults, I was beginning to see an honest love that he had for her.  God, I hope that my instincts ran true because I would never forgive himself if anything happened to her.

Sergio casually leaned against the wall with his legs spread shoulder width apart and with his arms crossed over his chest, watching every move, every little nuance that Zach made.

“You know,” he said with utter contempt filling his voice, “It really doesn’t matter that she carries your pup.  She will be mine in two days time and with you dead and buried, I will raise that little pup as my own.  Marissa is my legacy and mine alone.  Once we get to New York and enter that ring, make no mistake, I will kill you Zachary Martin.  I will not stop until the ground is painted with your blood.”

I stopped my pacing and looked back at Sergio.  If my mate had not been in such distress then I would have taken him down right then, right there.  But the fact of the matter was Marissa was in the other room and she was hanging by a thin thread, as well as our little one who was fighting for a life he or she had yet to live.  At the present moment I really didn’t give a damn about Sergio or anyone else for that matter. They could all go to hell for all that I cared.

Deciding that Sergio’s statement did not deserve even the meager of responses from me, I went back to my fierce pacing.  I had to concentrate on my mate, she was all that mattered because without Marissa there was no Zach.  There would only be a shell of an existence of someone that once had  been.

The door to the bedroom that Antonio had taken Marissa into suddenly swung open and the intimidating Alpha stepped out, glancing around until his eyes landed on me.  My heartbeat took off at a staccato pace, beating a tattoo in my chest while I helplessly looked back at Antonio expectantly.  My stomach was churning at a nauseating pace, mimicking something a keen to a washing machine in a spin cycle and my mouth was drier than the Sahara Desert.  It was then that I forced myself to ask the one question that I was scared to death to ask but it was the one question that I had to know the answer to.  With my hands hanging limp by my sides I closed my eyes and asked, “How is she?”

Antonio shoved his hands in his pockets and for the first time since I had met the overbearing Alpha, I noticed the undeniable lines etched in his face and could see exactly how fatigued and exhausted the man truly was.  Antonio let out a deep breath and said  “Thankfully she’s sleeping now and I’m pretty sure we got all of the poison out of her system.  She should be okay with enough rest.”

“The  pup?” I asked while holding my breath.  I was relieved at Marissa’s prognosis but still worried about our little one.

“It should be fine too,” he said glancing down the hall before returning his gaze back to Zach.  “You may see her now but do not, by any means, wake her up.  She needs her rest if we plan to leave tonight.”

Suddenly, I paused mid stride just a few feet from the open door and stared back at Antonio.  “You can’t seriously be thinking that were still leaving tonight?  She isn’t in any kind of shape to travel.”