Chapter 20 (Zach)

“Whispers of Hope”

2011 © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 20 (Zach)

After buckling a soundly sleeping Missy in the front seat I carefully closed the door to the car and just stood there for a moment, reliving everything that had just happened.  It was wild, it was primal and it was the one experience that I will remember for all my years to come.  I had not planned on taking my mate in wolf form yet, that type of mating is usually reserved for special occasions, like weddings or anniversaries, but it happened and I don’t regret it in the least. 

I couldn’t have stopped myself even if I had wanted to.  Seeing my mate so close to her own wolf form and my cousin, Leon, pressed up against her body so intimately drove me to the brink.  Having his scent imprinted on her was my final snapping point.  I had to have her; I had to make her mine right then and there.  Nothing else mattered in this world that we lived in except Missy and I and enforcing our bond. 

When the desire finally waned, I carried my mate in my arms.  Such a precious bundle that I held against my chest, treasuring the special one the Moon Godess had fated me with.  Her tantalizing scent surrounding me lfilling me with a pride that can't even be put into words.

Leon’s putrid smell was thankfully long gone and that was a damn good thing for him.  It would have been a real shame if I had to rough my own cousin up some more. I understood his reasoning for what he did back in the school and in many ways I appreciated it, but my wolf was having none of it.  The only thing that he recognized was the fact that another male wolf was  touching his mate and in the laws of the wild, wolves fight for what belongs to them.  Missy was mine.

Shaking my head, I sighed and started for the drivers side of the car.  As much as I hated to admit to it, Missy did have a point about her mother being worried if I didn’t take her home this afternoon.  She had already spent the entire weekend at my house, under the guise that she was staying with Amy of course. And as much as I didn’t want to take her home I knew that I had to.  Even I learned early on in life that I couldn’t always get what I wanted.  Hell, if that was the case then I would just keep Missy tied to the bed where she could be viewed by my eyes only.   

I snorted at the thought, she would sure love that, NOT.

Opening the driver’s side door I smiled at what that image would look like and slid into the seat havinf to adjust the painful arousal that was now stiff in my pants while glancing over at my sleeping auburn haired angel.  Her eyes were closed but her mouth was pursed into the most adorable pose.  Not able to resist, I leaned in and pressed the smallest of kisses against those pursed lips.  It was just a little taste, but how sweet it was.  When I pulled away her lips curled at the ends into a small smile, causing me to smile in return.

Man, I was whipped, wrapped and snookered when it came to the femme wolf called Marissa Mae Combs.  And what made it so bad was that I didn’t even care.  I wanted the world to know exactly who held my heart and other highly sensitive body parts as well.  In just a few weeks time I have really changed.  Now, I’m a one woman type of man and I don’t think that could have been any happier.  Having a mate sure can make one crazy, I mused.  Lucky for me, I like crazy.

Turning back around I started the car and turned the air conditioner on.  Fumbling with the vents I fixed them so that the cool air would blow directly on Missy.  Again, I found myself entranced by the mere sight of my mate.  I was just sitting there and watching the way the cool air blew the loose tendrils that framed her face.  The scene held me captive for an intermittent amount of time.  I don’t know how long it was that I sat there just watching, but a shrill ring from Missy’s book bag jerked me back to the present.