28: Interrogation

Start from the beginning

"It's a bit different, Abby,"

"Not really,"

I took a leaf off the bush beside me and ripped it up absentmindedly. I wasn't sure of much in the world - and I'm still not - but what I was sure of was that I would never get to see my love ever again. Whether it be a life sentence or worse, all I knew is that the other day was the last time I'd ever see his face. And I didn't even get to say goodbye.

"I'm sure the universe will have some sort of reason of breaking you and Zeke up." Emily said, interrupting my train of thoughts.

"I can't think of any other than that it just wants me to be miserable."

And I was being honest.

We were silent for another while. I thought more about what I could've said to Zeke if I knew he was leaving. I'd probably tell him I loved him, and that he is the reason I am who I am today. It may be cheesy, but it's true. His existence has taught me a few things: forgiveness is the key and I was able to love. I became the girl in the sappy romance movies, and I liked it.

"You're going to need to see the police, you know." Emily broke the silence again.

"I don't want to,"

"You have to. You can go willingly, or they can make you go, it's your choice. Either way, you'll be talking to a police officer about Zeke."

"I don't want to tell them, some things are private. I can't let him down."

Emily sighed. "I'm sorry to say, Abby, but Zeke will be found guilty no matter what, so the best thing is to just tell the truth, or else you'll just get yourself in trouble."

I sighed. Emily was right. I agreed to go to the police on the one condition that she would come with me. Emily told me she would then let me sit in silence to think things over.

A few days later Emily showed up at my house to take me to the police station down town. It was early in the morning, I was tired and I looked like death warmed up, but I went anyway.

It felt strange to be in a police station. I'd never imagined I'd ever be in one, especially for giving information on my boyfriend who was secretly a murderer. Everything was very foreign to me. Amidst the unfamiliarity was a certain red-head I knew all too well.

"Poddy!" I cried as I neared my Irish friend. He looked very smart in his uniform and almost unrecognisable.

"Abby," he replied when he saw me, "I just want to say I'm sorry, about everything."

He engulfed me in his arms once I was in arms length of him. "It's fine, thanks for your concern."

Although it wasn't fine, it wasn't fine at all. Every breath I took made me a little more weak, and every time I thought of him killed me more emotionally.

"Y'know, just for the record, Zeke was always a great guy."

I looked up at smiled at him. "I know,"

I heard my name being called by a feminine voice and turned around to see a police woman holding a clip-board staring at me. I bid Poddy farewell and followed the woman through the doorway she was standing outside of.

I entered a very dark room. The only thing that was in it was a table and two chairs and either side. There was a policeman sitting at one chair so I used common sense and sat down at the other.

On the desk was a tape recorder, a lamp - which was the only source of light - and a notepad.

"Good morning, Abigail Winston," he greeted me.