22: Exposure

This is the point in the story, reader, in which a skip a little bit. We are going to fast-forward a year ahead - exactly a year since that beautiful day on the beach where our lips touched for the first time.

Let me fill you in a little on what has happened in the gap, just so you are not confused. Rest assured, not much has happened - thus the reason I am skipping it. Anyway, Zeke and mine's relationship had blossomed to great heights and I had finally reached the highest level of happiness one can reach. Although, things with Emily still weren't good. I had spoken to her a few times, even if it was just small talk, but we still weren't at a sisterly friendship. The last time I saw her was on her eighteenth birthday, in which I made a remark about her finally being old enough to drink herself to death.

Poddy and Hannah got back together, but Poddy had still not received a job as a police officer. This didn't stop him from trying, though.

Steve was still my boss, and still single. As for Mum and Dad, they were doing fine.

Earlier I mentioned that I was extremely content in my life; but as we all know, when you are at your happiest, life has a way to drag you back down again. This is the day that happened. The day everything became clear. The day I will never forget.

***

I hopped out of bed cheerily, remembering the occasion. I checked my calendar and there it was, exactly a year since Zeke had confessed his feelings for me. I knew he had something special panned for me, even if he wasn't going to admit it.

I ran a shower, undressed and stepped in. I let the warm water fall down my body, wakening me up. I washed my hair and got out again. I stood in front of my wardrobe, contemplating over what I should wear. Eventually, I picked out a casual but still quite fancy navy dress with a brown knitted cardigan and brown suede heels. The whole vintage style seemed to be in lately, so I felt proud that I was following the trends - as I never do.

I curled some of the strands in my hair but left the rest straight and finished it off with natural make-up. Suddenly, I felt my phone buzz. It was from Zeke:

"You're probably expecting this, but I have a surprise for you. Be round at mine for one x"

I checked the clock and saw that it was half twelve, so I decided to leave my apartment. I drove round to Zeke's to find him waiting outside for me like usual.

"Happy one year anniversary!" I said to him as he greeted me outside his house.

"It has been an extremely happy year," he mumbled as he kissed the top of my head.

Zeke wrapped his arm around my waist as we ambled towards the beach. Zeke was so predictable, it was obvious he was going to take me to the place we first kissed.

"Let me guess," I said, "we're going for a walk along the beach and then you're going to make a romantic picnic for us to eat. Am I wrong?"

Zeke chuckled, "Actually, yes you are. I just thought it would be nice to go for a nice stroll and then we'll go back to mine for dinner. Sound good?"

"Is it steak and chips?" I asked hopefully.

"It's a little bit fancier than that,"

I couldn't help but feel disappointed. There was nothing better than Zeke's steak and chips. I guess I'd have to try classy food some time, but it was so hard when simple meals are just so delicious.

We walked up to the rock overlooking the sea that we sat on frequently. Zeke sat down first and I copied him - surprised, once again, at how comfortable the seating was. The sea air made it a little bit chilly so I wrapped my arms around Zeke and slid over so I was sitting even closer to him. I laid my head on his shoulder and we sat in companionable silence.