Thirty One

*Please read the author's note at the end. :) Btw, I FINALLY managed to find an apt picture of Julian lol. This is the closest to what he looks like in my head—as close as it can get. In fact, this is him! Check him out---> The model is Joshua Brand.

 In fact, this is him! Check him out---> The model is Joshua Brand

C H A P T E R  T H I R T Y  O N E

Shit!

I thought, smacking my forehead.

"Who is it?" Julian asked, with his eyebrows furrowed in confusion at my reaction.

I was a bit too overwrought to answer, so I turned the screen towards him. A grimace was permanently plastered on my face.

"Oh. Looks like you're in trouble," Julian announced, in a rather laid-back tone.

I gave him my classic death-glare that made even Jace cower in fear.

"What!? Why are you angry?" He exclaimed, throwing his hands up in the air as if he really did not know what I was freaking out about.

I studied his expression for a second, trying to figure out whether he was messing with me or he really was that stupid.

I mean, shouldn't that have been obvious!?

It was mom calling! That too, on Jace's phone! And I had freaking pinched his phone!

"Mom's calling, doofus! And I can't answer," I said, once I realized he actually was as clueless as he was letting on.

"But why? It is your brother's phone! You can tell her he's in the bathroom or something. Or that you can't find him and that you have his phone. What's wrong with that?" Julian suggested, raising a lone eyebrow at my still unconvinced expression.

"You don't know mom! She's going to ask me to hand the phone to Jace regardless of what I tell her, and when I won't be able to, she'll throw a fit. Besides, Jace never lets me even so much as touch his phone—even at home. And mom is like, the most observant creature to walk the planet. I honestly don't want to mess with her!" I explained, exasperated.

I had turned off the volume toggle so the ringtone wasn't blaring in our ears anymore, but the thing was still vibrating like a fucking road-roller (bad analogy, I know).

"Then wait it out. Let it stop ringing, and you can call her a few minutes later and tell her that Jace is with you and he passed out after drinking too much," he tried again. I only shook my head.

"Can't. She's going to panic even more. Jace is not supposed to drink, Julian. He suffers from clinical insomnia. Alcohol makes things worse for him," I told him, averting my gaze.

"What? But he goes all out on drinking during parties! Don't any of the guys know about it?" Julian inquired, looking quite stricken upon hearing this new piece of information.