Nine

09.

I was lying awake in my bed, head leaning against the headboard as I chewed on my nails like a nervous wreck. My poor nails were in such a shabby state, they looked like they had been attacked by a bunch of mice.

I was not a morning person, and it was extremely uncharacteristic of me to be awake before 7 AM without my brother's daily dose of crappy songs.

Endless possibilities ran through my head as I tried to think of a suitable lie that could get me out of going to school today. I was really not in the mood to enter that godforsaken building, especially since a highly dreadful person was returning to New York after a long ass vacation.

"I used to wanna beee... living like there's only meee! But now I spend my time, thinking 'bout a way to get you off my mind!"

Jace's terrible singing could be heard from down the hall. I cringed profusely before pulling the duvet up to my neck and closed my eyes in an attempt to pretend being asleep.

I hadn't even thought of a proper excuse yet and that blood sucking leech was already here!

In mere seconds, my door was swung open to reveal Jace clad in his boxer shorts and a white T-shirt, a huge grin on his face and a broken guitar in his hands. 

The usual.

The totally off key strumming stopped for a moment and I wondered what had gotten into him. But then I heard him laughing quietly to himself and I figured he must be tiptoeing towards my bed to scare the living daylights out of me. Well I didn't actually freak out anymore but it was still extremely annoying.

I kept my head muffled in the pillows, preparing myself for what was coming next.

The big blow.

I could feel Jace's presence beside my bed.

Just get this over with already! I thought.

And then it happened.

My eyes flung open when the horrible sound of the guitar hit my ears and I flailed my hands in the air like a madwoman in an attempt to hit Jace.

Needless to say, I was unsuccessful and all I could really manage was to glare at him with a discouraged expression as he continued playing the guitar with his non existent skills and sang in that dying whale voice that made me want to run around the streets with my hands on my ears.

"All I wanna be yeah, all I ever wanna be yeah-yeah is somebody to you! All I wanna be yeah, all I ever wanna be yeah is SOMEBODY TO YOU!"

And that people, is how you wake up in the Brooks household.

Jace was my alarm clock.

Weird, huh? But that was exactly how it worked.

No wonder he'd been diagnosed with insomnia.

He was restless all the time and he was always the first one to wake up in our house. He usually went for a one hour run in the morning and came back at around seven. The next thing on his bucket list was to wake me up.

Mom and Dad didn't really need his 'help' since they were light-sleepers.

But me? I was the laziest person in the family which earned me the special treatment on Jace's part, which consisted of him singing catchy songs in the worst way possible along with the sound of a freaking broken guitar, just so he could laugh at the annoyed look on my face first thing in the morning.

Not at all a good way to start your day.

"Everybody's tryna be a billionaire! But every time I look at you I just don't care! 'Cos all I-"