Twenty

C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y

To say that I was nervous would be the understatement of the year.

I couldn't seem to wrap my head around the fact that my hopelessly stupid elder twin brother who was probably the most unobservant creature to walk the planet could possess the ability to recognize me from an extraordinarily dark hall where it was hard to even see the person sitting right beside you!

And I was, like, two freaking seats away! I didn't even get up! How could he possibly remember me!?

Shit!

You passed them on your way to get to your seat before the movie started. Remember?

My subconscious informed me in a nagging voice and I could feel the panic settling in. I was scared, really really scared. What would Jace think of me now?

Urgh...

But maybe he'd just seen me... he couldn't possibly have any knowledge of what we did, right? That was all Julian! I was guarding him, helping him out, yes, but I hadn't actually done it all myself so he couldn't have known, right?

"What?" I managed to sputter in a weak voice, still pretty shaken up.

"I... I think I've seen you somewhere! But you weren't with me, right Jazz? Crap! Why can't I f*cking remember!?" He cried, running his hands through the dark blonde mess he called his 'hair' in frustration.

Instantly, I felt some relief rushing to my system.

Alright!

Great!

He doesn't remember me exactly!

YES!

"Are you fudging insane? I was at Eve's house the whole time!" I argued, shoving him aside and making my way in as if I owned the place.

Okay, that sounded weird. I do kind of own the place...

"No, but I remember you! I don't remember if it was you but the dress... this is just... AGHH! You just... seem oddly familiar. And wait! Are you trying to mess with me, Jazzy?! You're not lying to me, are you?" He exclaimed, getting even more aggravated.

I ignored him, pretending to brush the matter off when in reality I was having a mega freak-out session on the inside.

"MOM! I'm home!" I shouted at the top of my voice to tune out Jace's whining. I skipped to the kitchen to greet my mother, mostly because I wanted to escape the scene and not let Jace think more. If he kept on going, he'd totally remember me!

"You're back, hun? Alright, go change out of this...uh...outfit?" She said, a bit uncertainly, eyeing me up and down. And then I saw her raising her eyebrows at me. I mouthed to her that I'd explain later, turning around to rush to my room and get out of this dress already.

Of course Mom was confused. I didn't exactly show her what I was looking like before I left...

"Why did you go to Eve's house looking like this?" Jace muttered, the frown never leaving his face.

I mentally punched myself in the forehead.

What the heck! Why hadn't I thought about this part? I should have thought about what everyone would say when I came back!

"Nah. Nothing. We were... we were actually practising for this role play thingy. It's a class activity or something and she kinda wanted to see my stupid outfit..." I trailed, spouting complete bullshit that sounded rubbish even to me, waiting for this conversation to end already.