Twenty Six

C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y  S I X

Violence is never the answer.

That's what Gandhi said.

I don't think I'd ever realized the truth in that statement in its real sense, up until that fateful day when I slapped a girl I barely knew. That too, for a very stupid reason. It wasn't 'stupid' for me, but I'm sure that would be the case for everyone else.

"Jasmine?" Julian asked me, thoroughly shocked at what'd just taken place.

I was still standing there like a statue. I was breathing heavily and I couldn't answer him. I couldn't say anything. Even I was surprised at my own self for being so utterly impulsive, for losing self-control like that.

"Who do you think you are!? You can't get away with slapping me like that for no reason!" Olive screamed, lunging at me.

Her eyes were fiery with anger and her face was morphed into a cold sneer. I was repulsed by her so much, I took a step back. She probably interpreted it the wrong way, thinking I was intimidated by her or something because she moved closer to me with one hand on her hip and the other nursing her left cheek. Her expression suggested that she wanted me to cower in fear.

"Your mom," I spat, shoving her back.

I took one last look at Julian before marching down the hallway. I was afraid if I stayed there for another moment, I'd say something even more embarrassing.

"JASMINE! WAIT!" I heard Julian calling out for me but I ignored it. I did not want to face him. I could not face him.

What would he think of me now?

He probably thought that I was some weird, psychotic not-even-girlfriend who interrupted his little lip-lock session. A cockblocker. A prude. Or he'd figure out that I liked him and then he'd stop talking to me because that was who he was, he didn't date. He just messed around with girls when he wanted to and that was it.

That was what all good-looking guys did. They used their appearance to their advantage. Perhaps, that's what Julian did too.

I should stop feeling like I'm feeling now. I should stop before I can't stop. I should stop before I hurt myself, before I hurt Jace. This is a warning sign. This is a warning that he's the kind of guy that will drive me to do crazy things and then I'd regret them. I'd slapped a freaking girl just because she was kissing him! What is wrong with me!?

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME?

I am humiliated. Olive will tell everyone. Everyone will think that I am a-

"JASMINE BROOKS! STOP RIGHT THERE!" I stopped abruptly at the sound of Julian's voice. He was still following me.

"I've been shouting your name since you took off on your running spree and you haven't listened to me once!" Julian remarked once he'd caught up with me. He held me by my arm, determined to not let me move away this time.

"I'm sorry. I... I was thinking. In fact, I-I'm so sorry Julian for what I did. I didn't mean for that to happen. I just... got really angry, okay?" I said meekly, refusing to meet his gaze. I was so embarrassed.

"It's-"Julian had just started to speak but I interrupted his sentence with my own nervous rambling.

"No. It's fine. I know you hate me now. It's alright. I get it. I'm stupid. I shouldn't have done that. I'm such an idiot. Please forgive me if you can. In fact, don't forgive me. I'm so stupid, I can't believe it. I should just-"