Five

05.

After Math, I had Drama, Art and Advanced English Lit. None of them were demanding subjects for me, so I didn't have a problem with those. I had Ava and Abigail in two of them anyway. 

Right now, I was on my way to the cafeteria. I had waited so long for recess. I wanted to get some fresh air, get my head out of the gutter and just focus on something other than a stupid guy.

Yeah, so I might have thought about Julian for a good portion of my Drama class and all through Art. I'd finally reached the conclusion that he was still a stuck-up ass and nothing had changed, despite the fact that I had got to know him a bit more properly yesterday. And I was totally fine with that. I didn't need to be associating with him, out of all people. 

After getting my plate of food, I went to our usual table situated in the heart of the cafeteria.

"So, what's up, Jazz?" Evelyn inquired, looking up at me with raised eyebrows.

"Nah. Nothing much. Boring day..." I trailed off, not really knowing what more to say.

"Oh. Is that all? Why do you look so grumpy?" She asked. Everyone focused their attention on me, waiting for an answer. Well, everyone except Ava. She was too busy stuffing her mouth with spaghetti.

"Oh yes, I am pissed alright! Mr. Hilton pretty much humiliated me in front of the entire class today," I lied, not wanting to tell them the real reason for my bad mood. Even I had no idea why I was so bothered by Julian's coldness. 

"What happened?" Abby said.

"Actually, I hadn't—"I started my crappy explanation but was cut off when someone rested their hand on our table and leaned on it, blocking my view.

I looked up and found myself staring into a pair of familiar cobalt eyes. A grimace was automatically plastered on my face when I saw her.

It was Valerie. Of course.

Valerie Cooper was the most condescending person you would ever meet. For some twisted reason, she thought I was her ultimate rival. She competed with me for everything. Be it tests, school plays, debates, projects, pop quizzes or sports, she just had  to be there!

It has always been like that. Ever since we were kids. And trust me, it wasn't the healthy kind of competition. It was the deadly kind. The kind that would make you chop the other person's head off and it would probably happen soon, when one of us snapped.

"Hi Jasmine! How have you been?" She spoke animatedly, smiling so big, it almost looked painful.

I exhaled a long sigh before gaining my composure and decided to humor her. She wanted to have a civilized conversation? Alright then.

"Hey! I've been doing well. You?" I said, with my expression as fake as hers, if not more.

"I'm good! In fact, I had my birthday party this Saturday! You should have come! You missed out on a lot," she said, pouting like some preschool moron. 

Yeah, right! As if she had wanted  me to come to her party.

"I was sick. Couldn't get out of bed," I lied, making the lamest excuse in the history of human kind. 

"Oh damn... You okay now?" Valerie exclaimed, her forehead scrunched up in faux concern.

"Yeah. I'm fine," I deadpanned, mentally chanting for her to go away before I flipped out and lost the little amount of patience I was holding on to.

"Your brother came though, " she trailed, looking sideways at the table where Jace was sitting. 

Yeah, so?