Twenty Four

C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y  F O U R

The scene that unfolded in our living room that day most certainly tops the list of 'My Life's Worst Experiences'.

Everything was getting out of control real fast. I didn't see a point in pulling Jace and Julian apart from each other anymore. They wouldn't let go, they wouldn't listen, not to anyone. They just kept throwing punches at one another with the sole intention to seriously injure the other one.

My head was in a whirl. I felt helpless, stupid and most of all... guilty as hell. I was responsible for this debacle after all. I should've known. I should've known that Julian was the last person to go to when I needed to get a revenge for my brother's crazy flings.

I should've known that he wouldn't just piss him off. He would infuriate him, test his limits. Make his blood boil till his anger knew no bounds.

I should've freaking known!

I screamed at my own self, uselessly tugging at my hair while my brother and retarded friend abused each other like wild animals. And finally, the light bulb flicked on in my mind. I knew what I had to do. I had no choice.

Ignoring Valerie's constant yelling and the grunts of the two boys in the middle of a WWF match, I hurried up the stairs to find my mother. The only person capable of controlling the situation at the moment.

The most likely place where she could be right now was her study upstairs. If she would've been anywhere near here, she would've heard something by now for sure.

"Mom!" I yelled, frantically running past the other rooms to reach the end of the hallway.

Mom must have heard me calling out for her because I saw a door opening and she came out, locking eyes with me with her forehead creased out of worry at the tone of my voice.

"Yeah? What's wrong, Jazzy?" She asked, looking even more concerned than before when she saw me.

"Jace and Julian are fighting in the TV room. Valerie and I tried to stop them but they won't listen! Actually, this is the same Julian Jace always talks about. They are not on good terms. You need to come down, Mom. They won't stop if you don't," I explained, really really fast, letting it all out in just one breath.

"Oh Lord... "Mom shook her head, face palming. Without wasting any more time, we both rushed down the winding stairs to the site of mayhem.

I reached the living room first and saw that the fighting was still on, though it wasn't as intense as before and both the idiots concerned had resorted to verbal assault by this time. Valerie was bawling her eyes out in a corner like a little kid who lost his mommy in the mall.

Mom was slower than me, of course, and Julian must have heard the thumping of her footsteps as she descended the stairs because he stopped struggling completely. And the moment she entered the room, Mom saw Jace hitting Julian's side. I was sure he wasn't that hurt, but Julian flopped down on the floor, acting as if he'd just been run over by a truck.

Well...

That was... clever.

My brother, being the dim-wit that he was, didn't pay attention to the approaching adult authority and laughed! Thinking that he was winning or something.

Oh Jace...

Sometimes I really worried for this guy.

"BOYS!! STOP RIGHT THIS INSTANT!" Mom hollered, effectively catching everyone's attention. It was like one of those movie scenes where everything stops all of a sudden.