Twenty Nine

C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y  N I N E

Under the milky moonlight and the faint luminescence from the streets that made up for its dimness, I swayed along with Julian to the music of his hum. I hummed along, both of our voices mingling together to create a melody of their own. A melody so soothing and mellifluous, it sounded nothing less than one of those legendary tunes by great pianists. Or maybe it was just me. Exaggerating things like always. Or maybe it was my stupid inebriated mind. Or maybe it was Julian. In fact, I'm sure it was all Julian.

He was so magical. He was like... like a dream come true. He was absolutely perfect. I seriously doubted Hannah Montana's quote at that moment. If 'nobody' was perfect, then Julian was a nobody because he was perfect.

Not just because of his appearance. That would be so shallow; to judge someone purely on the basis of their physical features.

He was perfect because of how kind and clever and intelligent and passionate he was. I'm sure I could go on to make a list of even more adjectives to describe him. A list that would never end.

Plus how ironic, isn't it?

Julian? A nobody? A non-entity? Those words just did not belong in the same sentence.

"Somebody looks a little lost, don't they?" Julian asked me, his slightly full lips quirking into a mischievous lopsided grin that always meant 'trouble' or 'clever retorts'.

"Huh?" I managed to respond with a mono-syllable, my voice shaky for some reason. A reason I think I knew because I wasn't dumb but a reason that I was trying so hard to push to the back of my idiotic mind. My hopeless mind that always seemed to go on a vacation in Julian's presence.

I was so done for.

"You are so weird, honestly," he laughed quietly, making me scowl a little. Though I admit, I only did that because I knew how much that reaction made him laugh.

"God, I'll never get tired of that angry face you make!"

As predicted, it did make him laugh. I couldn't help the smile that crept its way to my face.

"Or that smile," he added, biting his lip to hold back his grin.

I blushed.

"Stop talking like a romantic hero, Julie boy." I taunted, punching his forehead, though lightly.

"I have to if I want to make you believe in your beauty," he whispered, mirroring my expression.

"Okay then," I shrugged.

I still hadn't got the point of the whole 'prove-I'm- beautiful' thing. I had been an idiot to blurt that out and Julian had actually gone along with it. Now I had no idea how dancing together would prove that.

How could you even 'prove' that? This wasn't some Math problem. What the heck was I even thinking!?

"You see that guy over there?" He asked, discreetly pointing to a guy leaning against the biggest tree in the Archers' backyard with a dreamy look in his glazed eyes. He kept switching his gaze between the sky and the two of us every few minutes.

What a weirdo...

"Yeah?"

"If you're too dumb to notice by now, he's been staring at you the whole time," Julian informed me with a certain edge to his tone.

I didn't get it.

Yeah, it was pretty unsettling to be stared at by an idiot like that but... why was he suddenly mentioning that?