t h i r t y - e i g h t

I knocked on Cameron's door around 7:30 p.m. Hoping to get an answer from him. Alex had made chicken Enchiladas, Cameron's favorite food, in hopes that he would Come out to at least eat.

"Cameron?" I knocked again.  "Dinners ready. Alex made your favorite.."

Again there was no answer. I leaned my head against the door. "Come on cam, it's chicken..... Enchiladaaaaassss." My attempt to make him laugh failed. I reached down to turn the door knob, but no luck there as well.

"Mack, just let him be." Alex called from the kitchen. Alex was presumably right. He would come out when he was ready, but I just wanted him to be okay. I left his door side to return to the kitchen with Alex.

"I called Sierra anyways, she's supposed to be coming over to try and speak with him." Alex grabbed a plate and placed food onto it before handing it to me. I truly wished Sierra would be able to break into his hard shell. Cameron could be so stubborn sometimes, but then again, so could I. I didn't blame him though. He had just lost his baby, and not only that, his girlfriend left him. Part of me believed I wanted to tell him "I told you so" about Meredith. But the other half just wanted to wrap him up and squeeze.

Sierra arrived and sat down on the couch. Her huge belly showed, and I was afraid that it might upset Cameron to see her pregnant. Maybe it might remind him, of what he could've had.

"I take it he hasn't spoken to either of you since this morning?" Sierra's question caught out attention causing us to raise our eyebrows at each other.

"No, he hasn't." I said sadly. I was seriously worried not only about Cameron emotionally, but also physically.

"I'll give it a shot." She stood up waddling back to Cameron's bedroom door.
"Cameron. It's Sierra. You should let me in, how about we talk?"

Her soothing voice gave me comfort in knowing she may crack him. But still no answer. I thought long and hard about someone who may be able to break through to him. I couldn't imagine losing my mom, my sister, and then my child.

"Alex. Get your dad. Dan. Get him to come over and talk to Cameron I think it may work." I suddenly had the idea to pop into my head. After relaying it to Cameron I told Sierra, and she nodded backing away from Cameron's door.

It wasn't long before Dan arrived, and after filing him in on the current events, he agreed to talk with him. Dan stepped back to his door, and knocked.

"Cameron, son." Movement was heard around the room. A shifting of weight sound could be heard, and all of us stood closely behind Dan listening.

"I know you can hear me. Can we talk?" Dans voice echoed through Cameron's room.

"Yeah, we can." Cameron's light voice came through allowing us to know that he was right on the other side of the door. I could tell he had been crying, and he was emotionally wrecked.
"Can everyone else go away though?"

"Of course." Dan looked at us, and everyone left the space but me. I wasn't leaving Cameron alone with his dad. It wasn't his dad I was afraid of, I just wanted to know that if Cameron needed me I would be there. Dan glared at me, but my standoff with him was overruled. He turned his attention back to the door.

"I heard what happened, and I'm so sorry that you lost the baby Cameron. I'm also sorry that Meredith, decided leaving you was a good answer. Because leaving is never an answer. I should've never left you Cameron. I regretted it everyday, and I still do. You deserved better. You deserved for me to be there. You deserved a real father, and I'm sorry I wasn't that. I'm sorry I wasn't there to guide you or do fatherly things with you. I am so so very sorry Cameron." Dan seemed like he was tearing up, but if he was he concealed it. There was no sound or movement heard on the other side of the door. So Dan continued.

"And I hope you know that I do love you, and I'm sorry that I haven't been there for you. When your mother and sister died, I should've been there, I should've hugged you, and told you everything would be alright. But I wasn't. I can't take that back now. I won't ever be able to. But I can tell you that I want to be in your life now, so that I'm able to show you these lessons you're going to endure. Because son, I promise you, this is only the beginning of your life, so don't, don't think it's over. Don't think this is it for you. You deserve better Cameron. I love you son."
Dan placed his hand on the door knob. During the conversation, Cameron must've unlocked the door. Dan slowly turned the knob, and opened the door, revealing a wrecked Cameron standing in the doorway.

He lunged towards Dan wrapping his arms around his neck. He closed his eyes, and squeezed around him. I think that for the first time he was finally able to grieve the right way. All the other times before had been grievances, but not how he needed to grieve.

"It's alright, son." Dan rubbed his back, as he sobbed into his shirt. When Cameron finally pulled away from Dan he came straight to me. His arms wrapped around my tiny body, squeezing me against his chest. I could see out of the corner of my eye, the state Alex was giving me, when he noticed Cameron had emerged from his room. I mouthed a "stop." To him. He needed to trust me. I loved Cameron, but dating him again, was something I couldn't see myself doing for a long time, if at all.

I ignored his stares, and stood with Cameron in the hallway. Dan Ruffles his hair, and then took a seat in the living room with the rest of everyone, leaving Cameron and I hugging in the hallway.

For the longest time, I remember standing there hugging him in pure silence. Something we had once enjoyed together, then hated, and now seemed to be the only thing keeping us together.