o n e

"Cameron! GET DOWN HERE RIGHT NOW!"

My best friend, Kylie and I laid on her bed listening to her mother yell at her Older brother Cameron. He wasn't much older than us though, only a year apart. He was 17 and us, 16. I had never really payed much attention to him, considering he was always in trouble. He was the trouble maker of the family, I guess you could say.

"I SWEAR I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING!", Cameron yelled.

Kylie and I giggled, because of course we knew he was using the classic 'it wasn't me' line. Our favorite thing to do, was laugh at him while he got yelled at. It was his stupidity that kept him in trouble.

"Give me all of your electronics, and your car keys." His mother, Gina, said scolding him.

"But mom-"

"Don't 'but mom' me." She said sternly. "Now go."

We heard his footsteps drag up the stairs, and watched him walk down the hallway towards his room. He returned down the hallway with all of his things, and threw them on the bar in front of his mom, along with his car keys.

"This is stupid.", he mumbled.

"Another week right there." She said shaking her head.

"OH MY GOD. THIS ISN'T EVEN FAIR."

"You want another week?" She asked rhetorically.

He made his way back up the stairs, and stopped when he heard me and Kylie chuckling at him.

"What are y'all laughing at?", he said coldly, narrowing his eyes.

"CAMERON.", Gina yelled.

He flipped us off, and continued down to his room.

I turned to look at Kylie. "what did he do this time?" I asked.

"He snuck out, went to a party, and got drunk. Mom ended up having to go get him out of jail for a DUI."

I giggled. Again. He was the one always making stupid mistakes. I mean, come on, everyone knows not to drink and drive. You're either asking for a punishment, or death by car accident with that.

"Mackenzie Are you staying the night?" Kylie asked me.

"Yeah if that's okay with your mom."

"You know she doesn't care Mack." She said smiling.

Gina came by her room, and peeked her head in.

"Girls, please let Cameron be. Don't bother him, and if he bothers you, let me know.", she said politely.

I felt kinda bad for her. She was always putting up with Cameron's problems, and trouble. It was like no matter what she did though, he never learned his lesson. The next step was for her to send him to his dad's, which he hated.

"Wanna watch a movie?" Kylie asked me.

I nodded, and we picked a movie on Netflix to watch. We never really got into the movie before we fell asleep.

                        •••

"Kylie", I whispered. "Kylie wake up."

I had been awoken by a loud noise near her room. The sound was like glass shattering.

"Kylie I heard something wake up." I pleaded.

She didn't budge.

"KYLIE."

"Mack just go back to sleep.", she said sleepily not paying me any attention.
Forget it, if she doesn't wanna come I'll go and check it out myself.

I crawled out of the bed, and tiptoed to the entrance of her room, and looked down the hallways both ways.

I slowly stepped out and heard a voice coming from Cam's room. I knew it was a bad idea, but I was curious as to what he was doing. I made my way near the entrance of his room, and peered through the crack of his door. He stood there with his hands placed behind his head pacing, mumbling curse words under his breath.

I was trying to get a better look at what he did, and sure enough he had busted his own window trying to climb back in. Creak.

Damn, I thought. I accidentally pushed on the door too much causing it to make a loud noise. My eyes went wide when Cameron ran over to the door and pulled it open to see me standing there.

"What.", he said harshly.

"I was just.. I heard a noise.", I said shyly.

"Yeah. It was me." He said turning his head and glancing back at the broken glass on the floor.

"Uh... You kinda broke that window." I said nervously.

"Yeah. I see that. Thank you for sharing the obvious with me." He whispered with an attitude.

I turned around, and had decided to go back to sleep. I took one last glance at him, and noticed he was having a panic attack. I had to help him clean up the glass and fix the window, but what was I going to tell his mom?

I turned back around, and opened the door again.

"Cameron", I said quietly.

"What do you want", he said with tears in his eyes.

Was he crying? He never cried. I've never seen him upset.

"I can help cam", I said softly.

"How are you going to help me? You're not going to magically pull another window out of your ass. She's going to send me to my dad's it's over with."

I walked into his room, and slowly closed the door.

"Help me clean the glass up." He surprisingly did as I said and helped me pick all the pieces up. I went down to the kitchen, and grabbed paper towels. I wet the paper towels and begin to dab, where the tiny, unseen pieces lay.

"How did you know that would work?" He asked curiously.

"My mom taught it to me when I broke her mirror one time.", I said giving him a smile.

Once I cleaned up the pieces of glass from the floor, I thought long and hard about what to do for his window.
It obviously had to be replaced, there was no doubt about that.

"Okay", I said,"here's what we're going to do. We take all the glass we just cleaned up, and we throw it outside below your window. Then we take that lamp over there, and tomorrow when your mom sees the Lamp laying in the broken window, she'll think the lamp fell and broke the glass."

He narrowed his eyes at me, and smiled. "Genius", he said smirking.

I chuckled, and made my way out of his room. "Hey Mack", he called.

Did he just call me Mack? He's never even called me by my name before. My heart started racing, and as I turned back to face him I for once noticed how beautiful his eyes were.

"Yeah?"

"Thank you." He said smiling.

I half smiled, and gave him the ok sign. I had never noticed Cameron, or how beautiful his eyes were until then. They're were a brown, but a beautiful brown, which sparkled. His devilish grin made me feel some type of way that is unexplainable.

I ventured back into Kylie's room, and climbed back into her bed.

"Mack where have you been?" She asked sleepily.

"Bathroom", I replied. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight."