t w e n t y - o n e

I woke up to the loud ringtone of Cameron's phone. Hotline bling blared through the house.

"Cameron!" I yelled. "Answer your phone!"

I covered my head with a couch pillow in annoyance. I just wanted to sleep the rest of my day away, but it seemed Cameron's phone was not going to allow me to do that.

"Cameron!" I yelled again, seeing that he still hadn't made it down the stairs.
"I'm coming, I'm coming." He yelled, rambling down the staircase.

His feet hit each board as fast as he could, and he jumped down from the last one. I wondered why he had left his phone in the kitchen in the first place, and then remembered just how idiotic, and stupid Cameron could be. I sat up, wide awake now, listening to him answer the phone.

"Hello?" He answered. "What?.." I could hear the shock and despair in his voice. I knew something was wrong. I walked into the kitchen to where he was standing, with the phone pressed to his ear.

"Yes.. This is he." His voice hitched. "Okay.. Thank you."

He pressed the end button, and laid the phone down on the counter. He took a seat at the bar, not moving his eyes, which were now filled with tears. It seemed as though, that every time we all got to where we were okay again, something happened that made the pain for him even worse.

"Cam.. What's wrong?" I asked. I already felt guilty for kissing Alex last night, and now seeing him upset, made it even worse.

"My mom.. She.. The house. Our house.. It." He stopped, and looked down. "Our house burnt down."

His eyes glanced back up to meet mine, and I could feel the pain as if it were coming right through my body.

"My mom.. Was in the house.. She didn't make it. And Kylie, is in critical condition." He said, tears rolling down his cheeks.

Gina was dead? You would think for someone who hated her own child so much, that he would show no remorse about her passing, yet it seemed like he cared even more so now, than he ever had before.

"Cameron.. I.. I'm so sorry." I said opening my arms. "Come here." He stood up and collapsed into my arms. We walked into the living room, and sat on the couch for the longest time. I held him close to me, playing with his hair, until his sobs went silent, and he fell into a blank stare.

Alex walked downstairs, and gave me a confused look. I just shook my head. He sat down beside me, staring at Cameron and then at me.

"Alex.. I hate to be the one to tell you this. But Gina died in a house fire this morning, and your sister, Kylie is in critical condition." I said without sugar coating any of it. I had never been sugar coated as a child, and I never really believed it did anyone any good. Alex didn't cry, and honestly I hadn't expected him to. He hadn't grown up with Gina, and to my understanding, he had only known her by stories, and the few times that he had spent with her. He gave Cameron a sympathetic look, and rubbed his back.

"Well, let's go." Alex said standing up.

"Go where?" I asked.

"We still have a sister, who's alive." He replied.

I looked down at Cameron. I thought about the last time they had seen each other. It hadn't ended well. I couldn't imagine what must be running through his head. He had, had a terrible past, but he didn't deserve this. But then again, no one ever does.

"Come on cam." Alex said grabbing his arm, and pulling him to his feet. Cameron followed him to his car, and got in the backseat.

"I'm gonna ride in the back with him if you don't mind.." I said to Alex, who was getting into the drivers side. He nodded, and I hopped into the back with Cameron.
He instantly laid his head on my shoulder, and I knew he had hoped I was riding in the back too. Moments like these made me feel more emotionally attached to Cameron, which reminded me of why I chose him in the first place.

The drive to the hospital was silent. Alex opened the back door for us, and grabbed my hand helping me step out. Cameron stepped out, and immediately grabbed my hand. I gave him a reassuring smile, as we walked hand in hand into the building. As we walked the sun shined onto our backs, casting a shadow down in front of us. I looked down to admire it. All 3 of our shadows were together, just like us.

The automatic doors slid open, and we walked to the elevator takin a step inside, and pressing a button for the ICU floor. We stepped off, Cameron now releasing my hand. His mood had instantly changed, and he acted as though he was appalled to be near me. I allowed it.

"We're looking for Dallas, Kylie, dallas." Alex stood at the front counter speaking to a nurse. The nurse smiled and pointed towards room 3. Cameron ran to the room, and impulsively slung it open. I decided to not intrude, and I observed through the glass. Kylie, the girl who had once been my best friend, laid in a hospital bed, covered in white bandaging, with a tube down her throat. This was not how I had remembered her, nor how I wanted to. Cameron clasped their hands together, and I could tell by his lips, that he was apologizing.

"The nurse said she's burned pretty bad.." I heard Alex say as he stepped to the glass beside me. My eyes stayed on Cameron.

"Said, months of surgeries to repair the damage." He kept throwing in small sentences, hoping to receive a reaction out of me, which irritated me.

"What do you want Alex." I snapped. "I get it okay? I was a jerk to her. I chose her brothers over her. I'm a shitty friend thank you for reminding me."

I honestly hadn't meant to be so harsh. I knew he wasn't trying to push that idea into my head. I just felt guilty. I felt the guilt climbing out of my throat, trying so hard to escape. It was like a lump, I couldn't seem to swallow, and the more I was reminded of it the harder it got to breathe.

Alex turned back towards the window, tapping his fingers on the wooden railing below the glass. "I'm sorry." He mumbled.

I shook my head. I wanted to tell him that it was fine. That I knew he didn't mean it. But something in me couldn't find the urge to speak. I just wanted to cry. I wanted to be away from everyone and every thing. But then I realized, I had no where to go. Now, the only family I did have was Alex and Cameron.

"I'm gonna stay here." Cameron said lowly, walking out of the room. "Like the night."

I nodded. I stepped over to him, kissed his cheek, and stepped back. "If you need anything, call me, I love you."

"I love you." He said giving me a weak smile. The guilt came back. I loved him I did. But I also loved Alex. But I also hated them both.

How had I lost so much of myself along this way? How had I let 2 boys cloud my judgement, when all along I should've just listened to my heart. As we walked out of the hospital, I glanced at the sky.

I did something I had never done before. I prayed. "If there is a God, please hear me. Please help me find out who the real one is. And please please help me find my way back home."