t w e n t y - s i x

It had been a week since Alex's car accident. He was still in a coma. The doctors said he should've been awake by now. But I refused to let them pull the plug. I knew he was in there somewhere.

Cameron and I had become really good friends. It was as if nothing changed, besides the kissing factor. That did change. I was excited for Alex to wake up, and know that I would be here for him to have if he wanted me.

The police had been talking to Sierra about the accident for the past few minutes. I waited patiently for her to come in and tell us what had really happened.

"So what did they say?" Cameron asked as Sierra made her way back to her usual spot on the mini couch.

She sighed, as if she needed a moment to recollect her thoughts. "He was drunk, and he ran a red light. Luckily no one else was coming, but when he ran it, he drove off into a ditch and hit a tree."

"So are they going to press charges against him?" I asked sitting up in my seat.

"No, they said since no one was around, they would let this time slide, with a 500$ ticket." She said blowing.

He was lucky. Come to think of it he was always lucky. I squeezed his hand, hoping it would wake him. But it didn't. I hated seeing him so helpless.

"He'll come around." Cameron said rubbing my back. He did his best to reassure me, but sometimes not even the comfort of a loved one can fix broken pieces of yourself.

"Sierra wanna give them some alone time, while we go grab some lunch?" Cameron asked. He always knew when I needed time. Something I had always admired about him. She nodded and followed his lead.

"We'll be back in around an hour or so." He said flashing me a warm smile. I gave him a small nod before he closed the door.

"Alex." I said bluntly. "You have to Come back to us. Back to me. You don't get to leave me. I just got you back."

I squeezed his hand. I felt tears form in my eyes again, and this time I didn't hold back. I just let them fall. I climbed into the bed with him and laid my head on his chest.

His heartbeat was steady, and calm. I closed my eyes tightly. I just wanted him to come back. I just wanted him here. I just wanted him to say my name one more time. One more time. One.

"Alex." I screamed into his chest. "Wake up. Wake up."
I wasn't upset anymore, I was infuriated. Infuriated that he could do this to himself. Infuriated that he could do this to me. I had failed to notice that Cameron had walked back in to grab his wallet.

He stood in the door way staring at me, but I didn't care. I just screamed and cried. I felt angry. I felt depressed. I felt sad. I felt all of these emotions that I couldn't seem to get out.

But most of all I felt alone.

"You stupid son of a bitch. You keep leaving." I yelled at Alex again.

"Mack." Cameron said calmly. I couldn't stop myself from my outrage. I just kept screaming at him. 

"Mack." Cameron said more sternly. I felt his arms wrap around me and pull me away from Alex. I struggled to get away from him, until he wrapped me into a bear hug.

"Mackenzie.." He said squeezing me tightly. I cried into his chest, just wanting some type of relief from everything.

"How did this happen Cameron?.." I cried. Cameron's eyes softened and he stared into me deeply.

"Mack I have to tell you something." He said licking his lips. My tears slowed down, and I glanced up at him.

"I.. I gave him the money to buy the alcohol with.." He managed to get out.

For a moment I couldn't move. All of this time I had blamed myself for this, and now come to find out, it had been Cameron who had given him the money to buy it, knowing he was underage.

I backed away from him slowly. "Mackenzie." He said quietly.

I shoved him away from me. "No don't fucking touch me, this. This is all your fault, and now I might lose him because of you."

He placed his hands on the back of his head, and paced the room, slowly. I walked over to Alex's bedside again, calmed now.

"Alex.. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry he let this happen to you. I'm so sorry." I cried. I rubbed his arm, and to my surprise his hand grabbed mine and squeezed it.

"Alex?" I asked curious to see if what I was feeling was real. "If you can hear me squeeze my hand."

He did as I commanded. I looked up to his face and seen his beautiful brown eyes, staring back at me.

"Oh my god." I said, covering my mouth with my hand. I couldn't believe it. The doctors said he wouldn't wake up but here he was. I hadn't lost Alex. I hadn't.

"Alex." I gasped. I leaned in and placed my lips firmly onto his. When I pulled away, I could see a small smile form across his face. My tears of outrage had turned into tears of joy. I faced Cameron to see if he was excited as I was, but he wasn't. He was crying.

Not because it hurt him to see me with Alex. Not because Alex was okay, or awake. Not because of what had happened with Alex. But because I had shoved him away. Because I didn't want to let him back in.

"Cameron.. I." I tried but he interrupted me.

"It's.." He couldn't finish. He turned around and walked out of the room.

"I'll be back Alex I promise." I said squeezing his hand. A doctor followed in behind me, as I ran out of the room. I assumed he was going to check on Alex, and boy would he be surprised to see what I seen. I chased after Cameron, who was walking down the hallway. He slammed his fists against the wall and leaned his head on it.

"Cam." I said softly. "I'm sorry." I reached out to touch his arm, but he yanked it away, just as I had done earlier.

"You're right Mackenzie. This is all my fault everything that's happened. It's been my fault. My mom and sister might be here if it hasn't been for me leaving." He said crying.

I jumped onto him, and wrapped my arms around him. "No stop." I said.

I couldn't let him blame himself. I had blamed myself for years over what happened between my mom and I. It's not worth the pain.

"No, it's not your fault. And I'm sorry I blamed you. Please." I begged. I kissed his forehead hoping it would make him feel better. A small smile formed across his face, and I hugged him tighter before releasing my arms.

"Come on." I said pulling him with me. He was of course still upset, but I knew in my heart he would be alright.

We walked back into the room, and sat down on the mini couch across from Alex. Sierra had returned by now, and was making small talk with him. She turned back to give me a wink and a smile and then put her attention back to Alex. Cameron laid his head in my lap and closed his eyes, and for the first time in a long time, I enjoyed the small silence we both used to share, with only the voice of Sierra in the background, but I didn't seem to notice. And neither did he.