t h r e e

My eyes popped open around 7 a.m. to the sun shining in my eyes. I couldn't help but reminisce on what had happened the night before with Cameron. He had been so polite, and had been very protective of me, which was something I had never expected from him. Cameron had always seemed like the type of person to not care at all, but from the events from last night, I would infer that that is not the case. He cared a lot.

I rolled over to face Kylie. She was still sleeping, typical. I pulled myself out of bed and walked downstairs and into the kitchen.

"Goodmorning!", Gina said smiling. "how did you sleep?"

"very well thank you." I said returning the smile.

She returned back to whatever it was she was doing. I assumed she was doing laundry, considering she was standing by the washing machine. I found it funny how neither Cameron, nor Kylie, ever helped her do household chores. My mom would always make me do everything by myself. it suddenly hit me. My mom. I pondered the thought about telling Gina about my mother. I loved my mother, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to tell someone the treatment I endure at home. I knew she needed help, and so did I.

"Gina?", I spoke weakly.

She walked back into the kitchen and stood in front of me from across the bar. Her eyes were light, and a small smile grew on her face.

"yes dear?", she said.

I panicked. What if they sent my mother to prison? Or worse. What if i was sent to live in a foster home? I did not want my life to change drastically. Other than the slight abuse I encountered at home, I enjoyed my simple life here in Chino. I decided not to tell her and quickly snapped out of my thoughts.

"Nevermind, I forgot!", I lied.

"Well if you remember, you know where to find me!", she chuckled. She grabbed the laundry basket of folded clothes and climbed the stairs, taking the other two children their clothes. Gina was like a 2nd mom to me, and I knew I could tell her anything. But i did not want to risk having to live with a foster family, or my mother going to prison.

I wanted to speak to Cameron as soon as possible. More or less, I just really wanted to see him. i knew hanging out with him around his sister would be an absolute mistake, so I refrained from trying make contact with him while she was around.

Kylie had a dentist appointment around 3. I looked at the clock to see that it was now 2. I bit my lip, I knew Cameron would not be tagging along with Gina and Kylie to the dentist. I can just play sick, I thought. I would be a terrible best friend for this. But it was either hangout with Cameron, or go with Kylie.

I chose the obvious better answer.

To hangout with Cameron.

The drive to her dentist was about an hour away, so I knew they would be leaving any time now. I quickly jumped into Kylie's bed when I heard her foot steps headed towards her room.

"mack, Were leaving.", she said walking over to me.

"Hey Kye, I dont think I'm gonna be able to go I don't feel so well."

She looked at me with concern. "Well", she stated,"You can stay here, we shouldn't be but maybe 2-3 hours."

I nodded, and she left the room. I let out a heavy sigh. When I heard her front door shut, I sat up relieved that she had believed me. I immediately felt guilty for lying to her, but my main priority was seeing Cameron. Little did I know he had been standing in the door way the entire time, and when I turned to see him standing there it startled me.