t h i r t y - s e v e n

I woke up with headphones still in my ears. Alex was in the kitchen, I assumed making breakfast. The apartment smelled of bacon, and sugar. Most likely, pancakes. My eyes scanned the room, yet I didn't find Cameron on the couch like I'd hoped.

"Alex, where's Cameron?" I sat up to look around a little more. His bedroom door was open, and the bed was perfectly made.

"Meredith had a 4 month checkup. So he said he would take her." Alex said, continuing to flip pancakes. I nodded, then stood up and stretched. I took my normal seat at the bar, and leaned over it to give Alex a kiss on cheek.

He grew a smile, and then it faded. "What?" I asked. He stared at me confused. Then I noticed he wasn't staring at me, he was staring at my neck.

"Is that.. A hickey on your neck?" He asked pointing towards me. I glanced down but I couldn't see. My phone was on the bar, so I quickly grabbed it and turned the camera on.

Sure enough, there was a huge hickey on the side of my neck. And I was 100% positive it wasn't from Alex. I closed my phone, set it down, and looked back at Alex.

"I can explain.." I said looking down.

"Oh really? Can you?" His tone changed. He knew something wasn't right.

"I... Last night Cameron came onto me.. And.."

"Let me guess. You just couldn't help yourself could you? Am I not good enough for you now?" He scoffed. He then began laughing trying to finish what he was doing.

"I'm sorry Alex. I didn't know what to do. I regretted it immediately.."

"I don't think you do Mack. I don't." He turned the stove off and placed everything onto a plate for himself. "I love you, but you need to make up your mind."

"I choose you. I choose you Alex. Over and over again, I choose you." I followed him to where he was sitting down on the couch. He seemed to not even notice me standing in front of him, so I pleaded my case.
"I told Cameron I didn't want to be with him, because I was in love with you Alex. I am in love with you. Only you."

He sat his plate down on the coffee table, and gave me a glare. "So why? Why would you do this?"

"I don't know." The tears began forming again. And slowly they fell. "Please don't hate me."

He grabbed me pulling me into his lap and wrapped his arms around me. "I don't hate you." He kissed the top of my head.

"I'm sorry Alex." I repeated.
He kissed my cheek again.
"It's okay."

I knew for him to forgive me, must've been a big jump in his mindset. He must really love me, if he was eager to forgive me so quickly. My phone rang on the bar.

"I'm coming I'm coming." I yelled even though the person on the other line couldn't hear me. Cameron's face was again on my screen. As much as I didn't want to answer it, I knew not answering it wouldn't solve anything.

"Mack.." Cameron's voice was scratchy. I could tell by the way he answered something was off.

"Cameron what's wrong?" Alex stood up and walked in the room behind me, like a hall monitor. I shook his presence off and focused on Cameron.

"Meredith.. She, she lost the baby." His small cry, turned into a sob, that was relentless. "And she left me."

She lost his baby, and then left him. How do you leave your boyfriend, your baby's father, after your child's demise.

"She left you? Did she not bring you by the apartment?" I asked.

"She got on a plane and left, I think it was scheduled ahead of time.. I just need someone to Come and get me." He begged. I told him I'd be there as soon as possible and hung up.

Alex had been listening in to the conversation so he expected what was happening already.
"It's alright. Go ahead."

I kissed his cheek thanking him, and then left to pickup Cameron. When I got to him, he was sitting outside on the sidewalk alone.
He seen my car, and go into the passenger seat. His eyes wandered out of the window, and he didn't speak much.

"Cameron? You okay?" I asked hoping to hear something from him. But he didn't answer. He sat in the seat in a blank stare. "I'm sorry Cameron."

I tried consoling him but it seemed that nothing I would say could work. "I love you." I said touching the tip of his nose. He scratched it and then placed his hand back in his lap. His expression stayed the same, and he still didn't speak.

I couldn't imagine what was going through his mind. He had lost his child, and then his girlfriend. The two most important things in his life had been snatched, and left from him.

When we arrived to the apartment, he quickly went inside and straight to his room. I walked behind him trying to stick with his pace. He shut the door behind him almost hitting me in the face.

"Cameron. I love you. I just want to help and you know that. So let me." I leaned my head against the door. If there was one thing he had taught me it was to not let someone you loved go away sad. Because being sad and alone is worse than being sad at all.

"I love you Cameron." Alex was standing right behind me now. He placed his hand on my shoulder, rubbing back and forth.

"Babe, give him time."I found comfort in his voice, but I couldn't shake Cameron off of my mind. I didn't want him to think there was nothing else for him. I didn't want him to think he wouldn't ever love again, or he wouldn't ever have another child. That wasn't true no not at all.

I wanted Cameron to know that everything would be okay. To believe that there would be another love. There would be another girlfriend. There would be another baby. Maybe not right now, but sometime in the future. Because God had a plan for him and they just weren't meant to be. I wanted him to believe that the days would be brighter again, and he would laugh a little louder and that it was okay to be happy and not feel guilty about it. I wanted him to know that as long as he had love surrounding him he wouldn't ever need anything more. But most of all, I wanted him to know that it's okay. That everything would work out, and that he would feel again.