t w e n t y - s e v e n

"I can't do it. I can't. It hurts too much." Alex groaned in pain, as he stopped to rest once again. Part of his healing process was grueling hours of physical therapy to fix what damage the wreck had done to his body.

Walking, was his hardest task. They hadn't found out until a week after he'd woken up, that he had also injured his hip. They repaired it, but now the recovery would be more hell to pay.

"Yes you can. Come on 3 more steps." I said trying to encourage him. I could see by the look in his eyes, he was in major pain. I didn't personally want to push him anymore than what he wanted, but the nurses insisted he try his very best.

"Alex. Look at me." I said smiling. He looked up. His face was sweaty from frustration, and he furrowed his eyebrows. "You can do this. Come on push through."

He dropped his head back down again, before grabbing hold to the walker tightly. He placed one foot in front of the other until he reached the edge of his bed, where the nurses helped him back into it.

"See I told you." I teased kissing his forehead. He twisted his face up, as they pulled him back into bed, positioning him to what was comfortable. I hated seeing him hurt so much, but I knew this was best for him.

"Do you want some water?" Cameron asked, entering the room with a bottle of water. Alex nodded, and he stepped over to hand it to him.

"Thanks." He said quietly.
Cameron give him a nod. The nurses checked his vitals before telling him goodbye and leaving. He had been placed in a regular room now, which was better for us considering it had a couch we could sleep on.

"How'd it go man?" Cameron asked Alex, noticing how tired he looked. Alex glared at him, as if he could tell Cameron already knew the answer.

"I'm sorry Alex." Cameron said noticing how disappointed in his question I was. Nothing, ate at me more, than for Cameron to agitate him, and bring him down.

He was already down enough, he needed all of the uplifting he could have.

"Do you want anything?" I asked trying to take his mind off of the subject. He shook his head, and closed his eyes. He seemed to drift away into a peaceful sleep, giving me a chance to go eat, or shower.

"Wanna go grab something to eat?" Cameron asked. I swear, it was as if sometimes he could read my mind. We stood up, and started towards the door leaving Sierra in the room, sleeping.
I blew Alex a kiss from the door way, before following Cameron's lead to the cafeteria.

"So do you like him back?" Cameron's sudden question appalled me. It was blunt, much like my questions usually were.

I sighed grabbing a tray. "Maybe."

He mimicked my action, grabbing another tray before asking another question.

"Does he know you and I aren't together anymore?" He asked curiously.

"No, I haven't told him yet." I replied. It was the truth. I hadn't told him yet. Alex had too much on his plate right now, than having to worry about love problems. His health was more important than mine and Cameron's love life.

"You should tell him." Cameron retorted grabbing an apple. We paid for what was on our trays and then took a seat at a table alone outside.

"Cameron, why are you so worried?" I asked. He laughed a little, before clearing his throat.

"I'm not. Just trying to make sure you're both happy is all." He took a bite out of his apple, and then stared off behind me. Since when was he worried so much about our happiness?

"I'll tell him when the time is right. He needs to focus on himself right now, not the fact that I'm single and ready to mingle." I chuckled.
Cameron laughed at my small joke.

How lucky was I to still have him as a best friend?

"Do you blame yourself still?" I asked causing Cameron's facial expression to turn serious. He looked at his plate, and then back up at me.

"Yeah, I do." He said sadly. I hadn't meant to hurt his feelings. I just wanted to know. For The Same reason he wanted to know about Alex and I, I wanted to know about him.

"You know Cam, your happiness is important too." I blurted, seeing his hurt expression. I reached out and lightly tapped the top of his hand. "You deserve to not feel all of this on your shoulders. Stop blaming yourself."

He flashed me a smile, before standing to throw his tray away. We returned back to the room, to see Sierra talking to Alex, who had seemed to be awake now.

"Hey Sierra can I talk alone with Alex for a few?" I asked. She smiled and walked out, with Cameron smirking walking out behind her. The door shut and silence filled the air once again.

"Alex, I need to tell you something." I said nervously. It wasn't bad news, but I didn't know how he would take it.

"Cameron and I broke up." I said quickly.

"No, really?" He asked sounded surprised. I nodded.

"We broke up because, there's another guy." I said leading him on.

"Another guy?!" He yelled.

"Yes , another guy." I replied. "He's cute, and funny, and he's been there for me through a lot. He doesn't realize how much he means to me though, or how much he's worth to me."

"Mack, Cameron means a lot to you too." Alex said cluelessly.

"He does, but this guy, is absolutely wonderful, and Cameron is perfectly ok with it. We talked about it, and he's the one who urged me to tell the guy, but I'm not sure how." I said faking a confused look.

Alex looked at me, and as of a light bulb sprung up in his head, he spoke. "Just be honest with him Mack. Tell him how you really feel. He'll like that."

I smiled at him, and grabbed his hand. He gave me a confused look which made me laugh. I believe if you love someone you should tell them, even if it hurts you too. Even if it hurts them. It matters that someone knows you love them. That could be their life or death. Or yours.

"Be honest with him?" I asked. "Tell him you say?"

He chuckled, and then nodded. "Yes. Tell him."

Alex was my life or death choice, and I chose life. I chose to live.

"I just did."