t h i r t y - o n e

"Did he hurt you?" Sierra questioned me as I climbed into the passenger seat. I glanced down at my arm, which had already went from a wept, to a small bruise.

"I know..He didn't mean to."  I mumbled. I didn't want her to be mad at him. He had already lost enough people in his life, he didn't need to lose his sister too.
She didn't reply, she just looked out the windshield, continuing to drive.

Rain began pattering onto the Windows. I watched as each little drop hit the glass, and then fell. My attention slowly wandered off into how peaceful rain was, until the car shut off.

"Come on." Sierra said stepping out of the car. I had failed to notice we were already at the hospital. We jogged out of the rain, and hopped onto an elevator. Alex was in a regular room now, which made things a lot easier for us.

I quickly went straight to his room, which I had memorized every step to. He laid in the bed, coloring in a color book. I laughed to myself at the sight.

"Hey!" He said enthusiastically. I smiled at him, and he could tell I wasn't okay. He outstretched his arms to me, and I climbed into the bed with him and laid down. I had forgotten about the pain in my arm, until he accidentally rubbed it, causing me to Yelp in pain.

"What's wrong? What happened?" He said looking down at my arm. "Did he do this to you?"

I could feel the anger in his voice. Part of me told me to be truthful with him, and the other part said to lie.

"Let's just not talk about it right now okay?" I said trying to change the subject. But Alex wasn't having it.

"No tell me." He demanded.

"I have a twin sister Alex." I said relieved. It felt so good to get it off of my shoulders.

"That's amazing Mack!" He said happily. "So what does cam and this bruise have to do with that?" He turned his attention back to the spot on my arm.

"He found out and was happy and excited. But I was uncomfortable. We got into an argument and he grabbed me too hard." I said quietly. "I know he didn't mean to."

"I'm sorry I wasn't there Mackenzie." He said his eyes full of sorrow. "I promise him and I will talk, and he won't do this again."

"But just talk right? You won't hurt him?"

"I won't hurt him." He said smiling. Another sigh of relief let out of my mouth. It felt as if I could breathe. I still loved Cameron. I hate seeing him upset, or broken-hearted. But sometimes, I felt like he didn't feel the same way about me.

"Would you like to color with me?" He asked chuckling.

"No I think I'll pass and watch." I said returning the laugh. Alex began coloring the cartoon puppies that filled the page. He was a very precise colorer, and everything had to be done just right. Sierra tapped on his door. We glanced up, and I seen that Cameron had arrived and was standing behind her.

"You two have a visitor." She said in a monotone. I could tell she was still pretty upset with him. He gave her a reassuring look before stepping inside and shutting the door.

"Come in." Alex said never raising his eyes. He vigorously colored away into his book. I was too afraid to make eye contact, I kept my head down watching Alex's hands.

Cameron came into the room further, and took a seat on the couch in the side of the room.

"So do you wanna tell me what happened? Or do I just assume you grabbed her and hurt her?" Alex said coldly. He still never raised his eyes. He focused mainly on his coloring book.

"Alex.. I swear I didn't do it on purpose. It was an accident." Cameron pleaded.
I could hear the sincerity in his voice, yet I still couldn't find it in me to forgive him yet.

Alex lifted his head. His hand stopped moving and he eyed Cameron.

"See this crayon?" He said holding the crayon up for Cameron to see. Cameron nodded. Alex then proceeded to break the crayon in half. He looked down at it, and began apologizing saying how he didn't mean to do it. Then he looked back up at Cameron.

"It's still broken though isn't it?" Alex asked holding the two pieces in his hand.

"Alex." Cameron pleaded.

"Learn some respect Cameron. Damn, just learn how to deal with people in a calmly manner. Can't you do that just one time?" Alex asked angrily.

"Alex.. I." He tried again, but Alex refused to let him continue.

"No. Why can't you just understand that just because your mother hurt you, doesn't mean you have to hurt other people." He growled. 

I could sense Cameron's sadness. Not only had Sierra said it to Cameron, so had Alex. I felt his pain somehow. I felt the thought of having your mother thrown in your face, and I knew it didn't feel right to let Alex continue.

"Alex.." I whispered.

"What?" He yelled. "He put his hands on you. He knew better, and yet he still did it. It's not right."

"Alex.. Look at him. Look him in the eyes. Can't you tell he's hurt? Can't you tell that what you're saying is hurting him? Stop Alex please." I begged. Cameron stared blankly back and forth between us, unsure of what to say.

"Mack who's side are you on?" Alex asked annoyed.

"I'm on yours Alex, but throwing his mother in his face isn't right. Would you throw my mother in my face?" I asked.

Alex went silent for a moment. He stared at Cameron and then back at me. He shook his head.

"That's what I thought." I mumbled.

"That doesn't mean I forgive you though Cameron. You truly hurt my feelings more than anything." I said eyeing him. He sat with his head in his hands, occasionally running his hand through his hair.

"I'm so sorry mack." He said his voice aching. I wanted to forgive him so much. But then I remembered that forgiveness and trust must be earned. Not given out freely because someone wants it.

"You lost my trust cam.. You'll have to earn it back." I said. He nodded, and wiped his face.

"I'm sorry they brought your mother into this.. I'm really sorry." I said trying one last time to show him my compassion.

"No they're right it's fine." He said letting his eyes wander upward.

"I love you both, but something has to give soon." I said looking between them. They made eye contact and then looked away disgusted with one another.

"Don't make me kiss both of you right infront of each other come on." I said giggling. Cameron's lips curled into a small smile, and Alex's did the same.

"There they are." I said smiling. I kissed Cameron's cheek, and then kissed Alex's cheek.

"I love you both remember that." I said pointing my fingers at the both of them. I walked towards Sierra who stood at the door.

"Everything alright?" She asked giving me a smile smile.

I smiled back at her. "Everything should be just fine for now."