t w e n t y - t h r e e

"I think you look very handsome, and your mom would be very proud of you." I said giving Cameron a reassuring smile. I reached up to fix his tie and collar, before facing towards our reflections in the mirror. He indeed did look handsome. Everything he had on was black, and although it was for the wrong occasion it looked so right.

On the other hand, I didn't really know how his mom would feel about him now. I could only hope that she was proud of the man he was becoming. I know I was.

Standing at the funeral wasn't bad until Cameron had to walk past the casket one last time. His sister had been cremated as he had said she wished to be, and placed in the casket with his mother. He didn't want to leave, and seeing him hurt so much, was painful. I squeezed his hand tight hoping that it would give him some sort of comfort. He squeezed back, and I knew he had appreciated my gesture. Afterwards, everyone came to the apartment, to eat. Most were laughing, joking around. It was nice to see just how much family Cameron actually had.

I had never grown up with so much family. I was only known by my mother, my father, and my grandmother. Unfortunately my grandmother had passed away, so Cameron's family was the closest I had ever been to having extended family.

Cameron was enjoying himself. He sat on the couch with a few of his cousins talking, and chattering away. I think being with all this family, besides Alex, was good for him, and something he needed.

I hadn't spoken to Alex since the night before when I yelled at him. Again, we had started another silent streak between the two of us, which didn't really bother me at the time being.

Cameron seemed somewhat content with himself now. Somewhat, happy, and as for me, I was managing through. God placed Cameron into my life for a reason, and that's how I knew he was the one.

A loud knock hit the door, and everyone stopped to listen and stare. Cameron stood up, straighten his suit, and stepped to the door.

"Hi cam. It's been a while huh?" A tall slender young woman stood at the door. Cameron's eyes went wide.

"Sierra?" He asked trying to catch his breath. Sierra had supposedly never been apart of their lives, yet here she was. She nodded and he made way for her to step in. The once loud room, had grown unusually quiet.

"Mackenzie. This, this is Sierra." He said running his hands through his tousled hair. I was in awe of her. She was absolutely Stunning as they had mentioned, and she reminded me of both of them.

"Hello!" She said extending her hand for me to shake. I accepted the gesture and shook back.

"Hi I'm Mackenzie. Cameron's girlfriend." I said smiling. I honestly didn't know what else to say.

"Sierra. Cameron's older sister." She chuckled. "I'm guessing he doesn't talk about me much by the look on your face."

I giggled, picking up my bottom jaw. She reached out to Cameron and he gave her a big bear hug.

"Well." She said glancing around the room. "Where's my other baby brother at?"

It had just hit me that I hadn't seen Alex all day. I quickly jogged out of the room, to his. He wasn't there. I checked Cameron's room. Not there either. I walked into my room, and seen him sitting on the bed.

"I don't mean to bother you, but your sister, Sierra is here." I mumbled. I hadn't even bothered to ask why he was in my room. He nodded, stood up and shoved past me, placing a fake smile on his face to greet her with.

I shut my door, and walked back to join Cameron. Alex hugged Sierra, and all 3 of them quietly chattered, as the room began to grow loud again.

"So Mackenzie, I know all about these boys! How long have you two been together? Is he good to you?" She said giving me a warm smile.

"Yes! He's amazing." I could feel Alex's eyes staring me down. I ignored the eye contact, and continued. "And a few months I guess you could say right?" I nudged Cameron. He grinned and nodded.

"It's nice to know he finally has a keeper!" She winked. "What about you Alex?"

Alex went quiet. His eyes ran from me, to Sierra, and then at Cameron. "I'm not seeing anyone at the moment." He finally replied. I sighed. I figured he was going to engulf Sierra with a story about how we were together, and now we aren't, but he didn't. He simply stated his relationship status, and went silent again.

"Are you sure Alex?" Sierra asked teasing him.

"IM NOT SEEING ANYONE OKAY?" Alex snapped. Sierra's look became worried. The whole room was once quiet again, except this time everyone was staring at Alex.

"What? What are you all looking at?!" He yelled.

"Alex." I said in a low tone.

"No. You, shut up." Alex retorted.

"No you shut up." Cameron said grabbing him by his arm. He bent to his ear and whispered. "Talk to her like that again, and I swear I'll kick your ass in front of everyone."

Alex snatched his arm away, and walked out of the room, into his room, slamming the door.

"I'm sorry.." I stammered. "I honestly.. Have no words."

"Don't be sorry sweet girl! You didn't do anything!" Sierra said in a comforting tone. But little did she know. We were in this situation because of me. If I wouldn't have dated Alex in the first place maybe I wouldn't be in this situation. Don't get me wrong, my choice has been made, and I'm sticking with Cameron, but I just don't want to be in a constant fight with Alex anymore.

Everyone resumed their normal conversations, and I felt Cameron pull me to the side.

"I'm gonna go to talk to Alex." I said pulling my arm back. He pulled me back again, even harder.

"No Mack, just leave him be." Cameron said.

"I can't cam.. I can't. I have to fix things with him." I kissed his cheek, and his grasp loosened letting me go. I got to the door, and knocked softly.

"Alex, I'm coming in anyway, so I don't know why I'm knocking." I said as I walked in. I had given up on trying to be nice.

"What." He said coldly.

I walked even closer to him. Somewhere along the way, he had forgotten how to treat someone with respect, which pissed me off highly.

"Look be pissed at me all you want. But at least show me some decency." I said narrowing my eyes at him. He rolled his.

"Decency? Decency as in the same decency you kissed me with right?" He asked his attitude constantly rising.

"Seriously Alex?.. What did I do to you, for you to be just so awful to me? I'm just confused here. So let me know how I hurt you." I said.

"You just don't get it do you?" He laughed a little. "You say you love Cameron, then you kiss me, then you don't wanna talk to me because you're still with Cameron. I mean pick a side."

"Do you know why it was hard for me to pick a side?" I yelled. I was absolutely angry at this point. "Because I wasn't just in love with Cameron. I was in love with you too Alex! How could you be so dumb... It doesn't matter anyway. I chose Cameron. I choose him over and over again, and you know why? Because at the end of the day, he's still the same person he was the day I went out with him. But you... You've changed."

He gave me a stern look. He refused to say anything back so I left my argument at that. I didn't have the energy to argue with him anymore. It felt like I was gnawing at the same bone for hours, yet you knew it wasn't going to break. Alex was the bone, and I was gnawing.