Luke: The Genuine Flip

© IWuv_Stories a.k.a Richa Tripathi 2013. All Rights Reserved

______________________________________________________

They were books I never touched—the ones that lay in front of me, as I read out of them with absolute absentmindedness.

A poet; I wouldn’t moderately call myself that. Or even someone who was into poetry.

I have no life but this,

To lead it here;

Nor any death, but lest

Dispelled from there;

Nor tie to earths to come,

Nor action new,

Except through this extent,

The realm of you

-Emily Dickinson

“Oh, quit it!” Juan snatched the book from my hands “You never went through these when I gave you the homework assignment!”

I tightened my jaw.

It wasn’t fair. I wasn’t supposed to be alive.

“Why am I alive?” I demanded.

“Because we saved your sorry little ass” he hissed.

I stood up, enraged “My body, was supposed to be entirely drained. The seal was supposed to break; I was supposed to go insane, lose control and die. Then, why am I still here?

“You forgot to finish some work off?” Juan picked up an apple and took a bite out of it, casually.

“I failed at what I was supposed to do” I sighed, my eyes gathering moisture again “She’s gone…you should’ve just let me die.”

“I don’t support Euthanasia” he shrugged.

Who was I expecting would understand? They never felt the way I did.

So, I decided to do what I did best when things didn’t make sense—go to Sarah.

Except, where was she?

She was no more. She’d left…her very existence had disappeared; save the body with the soul of another.

That face I had always known, that voice I loved hearing, that smile…it was all there, but that soul.

The only element that made her the one I loved—her soul was gone.

I was stranded; deserted. I had nowhere to go. What was I even doing in Chrysler’s room?

I grabbed Flectare and bounded out the front door. I had been out for two days—or so I was told.

Either way, unconscious or not, it didn’t matter anymore.

The silence engulfed me as my footsteps echoed into the dead of the night. For what seemed like eternity, I only saw night. It was night when I was defeated by Kenny, and it was night when I woke up.

It was as if the darkness was mocking me.

The hallways of the orphanage were so familiar—they were a dream.

The doors leading to different rooms were all lined up on the side, and the other side of the hallway was open toward the garden, with pillars in between.

I walked with heavy steps toward mine and Sarah’s room. Maybe there I’d find proof that she really did exist—that it wasn’t just a stupid dream!