Luke- She'll chose me

Kenny’s phone rang when he was helping me with the wall painting in the basketball court on Tuesday.

“Hello?” he said. Some silence

“Oh, dad.” He sighed “Its you. You got a new number?”

A Pause

“Seriously! It’s the fifth one this month”

“Sunday? But the ball’s on Sunday”

Won’t he be here for the ball?  I thought to myself.

“But dad…I’m going to give it to her tomorrow!”

Was he talking about Sarah? Give her what tomorrow?

“A different one? But why?”

I was wondering what he was talking about

“A different dress, ok fine. A prettier dress…and what else?” he asked.

He is planning on giving Sarah a dress? What was this, the eighteenth century?

“Ok…so I shouldn’t give her a dress. All right. Then what do I give her?”

I chuckled slightly on the inside. Whoever suggested that was in pace with time.

He seemed disappointed, but at least he wasn’t giving a dress.

“Seriously? Mother will? So you want me to do it sometime after the ball? On Sunday?”

Ok. His expression made it clear that it was something better than a dress this time.

What was this guy going to do to Sarah? The curiosity was eating me alive!

“All right. I’ll be there on Sunday then. She really will be happy” he smiled warmly. I had never seen him smile like this. He was thinking about Sarah? He loves her more than I thought. Tougher competition.

He hung up

“So…you aren’t coming to the ball?” I asked

He shook his head “I am. I’ll just be a little late. I won’t be here tomorrow after eight though. I’m visiting my parents for the day. It’s my grandmother’s hundred and ninety-ninth birthday. You know, Sirens and longer lives…So yeah”

“Aah” I said. I had almost forgotten he was a first one— the direct decedent. That meant his whole family was Siren.

“So, what are you giving her?” I meant Sarah.

“I’m planning to get her a ring…my grand-mum likes jewels” That’s right hundred and ninety-nine is young in Siren years.

 “Oh, by the way, Ken” I cut in “I have to go check up on something else. Just got a message. Be back in five” I said and began walking away.

I spent the whole day with him that day, and even helped him pack up for the next morning.

Wednesday, early morning, my phone vibrated. It was a message from Sarah.

“I’m going to ask her to the dance tonight. Don’t cheat and ask her before me while I’m away. The competition’s on as soon as I return”

I shrugged “It’s not my fault you’re not there. I’m going to ask her. Don’t you think you should say bye to her before you go?” He seemed ignorant to my last statement.

He ground his teeth “but she’ll say yes to me.” and left with the suitcase.

He could dream about Sarah all he wanted, but I was going to go to Sarah. She had just messaged me and called anyway.