Sarah-If it Doesn't Kill You

“This is pissing off!” I reminded the boys from outside the room “first he does that weird thing and knocks me unconscious, and now you’re telling me you found the journal which was supposed to have been burnt to ashes, Luke! In your own words!”

“Calm down—”

Calm down?” I hissed “I was out for twenty freaking minutes!

I kicked the invisible barrier keeping me out of Luke’s father’s study. It was as if lead doors were blocking my way in, but I could see right through them. It even hurt my leg when I kicked.

“I know, Sarah—”

And” I continued, fuming “He thought I was going to kill you! Luke, what the hell?!” I crossed my arms and mimicked Derek’s recent argument “She’s doing it for her boyfriend, dumbass.”

“You are” Derek mumbled, with his nose buried in another book.

“You little thumb sucking, son of a—”

“—Sarah!” Luke interrupted “It was a misconception, and I’m apologizing on my stupid twin’s behalf, okay?”

I looked from Derek, to Luke, and back to Derek, and puffed up my cheeks “Fine

Luke sighed.

“Just explain the journal thing!” I stretched my hand out to him.

“He can’t give you that” Shiloh chimed in, entering my line of sight from behind a cabinet. Derek had called her to help them out, when I was unconscious.

“You stay out of this conversation, lady!” I spat at her, yelling.

“Or what?” she taunted, resting an arm on Luke’s shoulder.

My anger boiled, but settled slightly when Luke moved uncomfortably away from her.

I flashed the girl a victory smirk, and she went away.

I looked at Luke, who seemed to be blushing.

“What the hell?” I demanded, pissed off “Why are you blushing?”

He grinned lopsidedly “You were jealous back there”

“huh?”

Enough, love birds” Derek rolled his eyes “look what I found”

I almost walked into the barrier again, reminding myself that I was human.

It was the first time I wished I wasn’t.

I indicated with my hands on my hips that I couldn’t exactly look at what he had found.

“I don’t remember asking you to look” Derek scoffed.

“Yeah you did!” I countered “You said—”

He grinned when I couldn’t finish the sentence.

“Enough, lovebirds” he repeated.

“Very funny” I crossed my arms in irritation.

Luke grinned “It is”

That was it.

Luke sided with the enemy back there!

“Whatever” I spun on my heels “I’m going back home with dad”

Little did I know, I'd regret having said those very words.

“No, wait!” Luke jogged after me, as I pressure-walked up the spiralling stairwell.