Sarah- Lies

I know I was told to prepare the mixture for Luke’s cold, but after I was done, I couldn’t help but eavesdrop.

“He’ll die” Kenny said, grimly “I know,”

I couldn’t hear what Chairman was saying on the other end, but I tried to control myself from dropping anything in shock.

When I relaxed, I heard Kenny continue.

“…Let him eat”

A pause.

“Then I’ll give you my power the next time. That should help him hold on”

They were hiding something from me. Something about Luke. Luke was going to die if something kept happening repeatedly.

What were they hiding?

“No.” Kenny sighed

What were they talking about? I wasjust so worried about Luke, it barred my senses.

“Leave it to me. He might be my manager, but I can help” Kenny said confidently. Manager?

But that aside, Kenny could help. How?

That meant things were looking good for Luke, didn’t it?

“Yes. I will” I heard Kenny promise.

“Bye” he smiled and hung up.

I continued feeding Luke. Why would Kenny lie to me about something like that? Plus, their conversation had made absolutely no sense.

“It isn’t anything serious, right?” I asked “It’s not like a life or death thing, is it?”

“Sarah, it’s just a cold.” He smiled “Don’t imagine things. He won’t die” and laughed.

He was lying. Kenny was lying to me. Luke was in danger, but he wouldn't tell me anything. Why were they being so secretive?

“Get up soon, idiot. Don’t make Sarah worry like that” Kenny said to unconscious Luke “Or she’ll stay mine because I’m the one taking care”

Now, none of it was clearing up.

When I looked up again, Kenny was smiling to himself about something.

He really did care about Luke, so why did he hide it? I looked at my best friend with very little time, hoping there was something I could do about it.

His finger traced my palm weakly and lightly and when I looked up at his face, he managed a smile, but closed his eyes and went back to sleep. He was recovering. Thank goodness.

“My dorm is just next door. If you need anything, then call. For now, I’m just going to go inform the Head Mistress that you’ll be living with Luke in his dorm for a few days. She should allow it knowing that you two have lived together until now anyway” and with that, he went out the door and towards the Head Mistress’ office.

Half an hour had passed after that, and Kenny hadn’t returned. I didn’t want to go to his dorm either. I’d be troubling him. Luke was sound asleep and thankfully his temperature had gone down too.

He seemed relaxed and I found myself personally admitting that he looked kind of cute too, and I began laughing to myself.

He moved on the bed.

Was he uncomfortable? Did I disturb him?

“Everything all right?” I asked

He looked like he hadn’t realized that I was there.