Ken- Behind our Masks

I felt dizzy and weak; which is a humiliating thing for a leader to admit, but I admit it. I was so drowsy, that the entire hallway seemed to be merging into a vortex of colour.

If it wasn’t for James, I would’ve hit my nose against the pavement.

“Steady” he warned, arriving almost immediately after my summoning, and swung my arm around his shoulder.

“Thank you”

“It’s an honour to be of your aid” he told me, humbly.

He helped me to my room, where Amelia was getting the bed ready.

“You require more rest, Master Kenny” she said, concerned “You look pale”

“Get me a glass of water” I requested, pulling off my shoes and socks.

James went over and buffed up the air conditioning.

“The government meeting is in half an hour” Amelia reminded me as she handed me the glass of water “they need to know about your plans…for—er”

“That’s not an issue” I assured her, taking a sip of water “The date’s been fixed for Halloween”

“Should I ask them to postpone?”  She inquired

“No, don’t do that. It would be inconvenient for everybody”

“And about Mr White?”  She asked again.

“Remain within your limits, Amelia” James chided “it would be improper to ask”

“Derek’s fine” I answered, none the less, as she gave James a winning smirk “He’ll be back on track within no time”

Derek and I had a history, before the incident with his family.

The White household was queerly connected to the Glessons, through professional means. In other words; we did business together. Siren sort of business.

Derek and I had been friends and I saved him, more for that fact, than for Luke’s sake. I felt like it was my duty to do so.

 I took another sip of water, “Has the costume been delivered?” I asked James, referring to the one I’d wear at the Halloween ball.

“Yes. All pieces and all parts have arrived, exactly as you requested. The shade is the exact same kind of red, and the mask too, is a direct replica of the real one”

“The one used in the movie” Amelia corrected “Practically speaking, there was no real one”

“Didn’t you try to get the one they used in the movie?” I asked, feeling slightly disappointed.

“I’m afraid they weren’t ready to lend it” James frowned “my humble apologies”

“That’s all right” I waved it off and stood up “for now, get my clothes ready, or we’ll be late for the meeting”

“They’ve arrived from the dry-cleaners” he assured me and reached into my closet.

“I’ll go get the tie and the cuff-links” Amelia excused herself and got to work.

I grabbed on tightly to the frame of my bed, trying not to stumble. James noticed.

“You’ve been drained drastically, Master Kenny” he walked up to me with the suit in its case “are you sure you’ll be all right?”

I strained a smile at the British boy “I am. Lend me a bit of your strength”

James gave me his arm and I absorbed a little more energy than I should have, not realizing it.