Luke- The Power

I had absolutely no idea of when backup had arrived, but I still wasn’t fighting.

I was with Julie in the orchid. The battle had moved away from there, deeper into the campus, threatening the humans.

There was a magical barrier which The Committee had set up, and they had to keep pushing it further so that the humans could stay unnoticed. It seemed so pointless, since the enemy was already very strong.

 I was trying to recall how to bring out wings.

All in all though…I felt different. I don’t know how, but just different. A bit stronger, yes, but I still felt I was lacking something essential.

 “It’ll take a while before you are accustomed to unsealing” Julie informed

 I nodded. I was beginning to lose my voice again

 “You don’t have to kill them” she reached her hand forward and grabbed mine “Come on”

 There really is no point in holding on to your morals if you aren’t human. At that time, I was Siren, and at that time, I was starved.

I avoided killing, but they eventually did die because I had drained most of their energy. My voice had returned

“I killed him…I wasn’t able to control myself…” I trailed

“You haven’t fed for over six years, Luke. It’s only natural. That Siren was strong wasn’t he?” Julie asked

“How’d you know?”

“Your expression. Even though it’s against your morals, you enjoyed your meal. I can see it on your face” she smiled

That’s right. I had enjoyed it like the monster I was.

“I just need one more” I said and looked away.

After politely borrowing energy from another Siren, I stood up.

Luke, can you hear me?

“Kenny’s here” I said out loud “He’s trying to contact me”

“What are you going to do?” she tilted her head

“Ask him where the hell Sarah is! Here, take Flectare. I’m using my wings” I threw Flectare at her.

Julie still looked doubtful “Are you sure you can do this?”

“Of course. You’ve all put your trusts in me, right?”

She nodded and her childlike worry was visible on her face.

“Then I can’t let you down”

She smiled and put her arms in Flectare’s sleeves.

I relaxed and took off my shirt. I had to concentrate on bringing out my wings, so my shoulders had to be bare.

I didn’t even remember how my wings looked. Every Siren has wings of different appearances. I didn’t  remember what mine were like…

A tingling sensation crowded on one point on my shoulder blades and I felt a presence there.

“You did it! Your wings are here!” Julie jumped up and down.

I turned to look, but all I saw was a translucent obstruction.

“Um, are they really there?” I asked

“Try touching” she smiled. I stretched my right hand to its side and felt the feathery presence brush against my elbows. I stroked my wings. They were amazingly long, even though I couldn’t see them.

“Transparent” I chuckled, when I remembered. Yeah, for some odd reason, my wings were transparent.

I wondered what that said about my personality. The wings were a result of personality after all.

“What are we waiting for?” I questioned “Let’s get going”

I pushed the earth beneath my feet and rocketed upwards; past the green branches of the Orchid Garden where I had my first meal.

The cold wind whipped my bare chest, and gave me goose bumps, but there wasn’t anything much I could do, there had to be space for my wings. My shoulders had to be bare.

I scanned my surroundings, waiting for a signal…a sign of where the battle was raging.

Julie levitated besides me.

“Go to the students” I instructed “stay with them, keep them safe. And make sure they stay in the dark about all this”

Julie nodded and began flying, then stopped and called out

“Luke! You forgot this!” and she tossed Vorare. I caught her.

“Thanks!” I waved and kissed Vorare’s nozzle, then winked and flew away.

I flew towards the west wing. There was a mass of Sirens and Humans fighting. As I neared, I heard the faint tune of a song and blocked my ears, pushing my earplugs further in. Then, continued flying at full speed, targeting a particular enemy Siren.

One touch and he would die. I was already hungry again. A grin spread across my face. I loved the thrill.

On normal circumstances, I wouldn’t have enjoyed being a Siren. Of course, the memory loss I would soon witness would make me realize that…but it wasn’t time for that, not just then.

I extended my right arm and spread my palm, grabbing hold of the Siren’s face and pushing him away from Derek. The Siren turned into dust and clothes. I tossed the dust in my palm and searched for another target, with evil thrill.

What was up with me? At that time, even I wasn’t aware. I turned into a violent maniac and enjoyed it.

I lost all reason and attacked anything that attacked me. A thoughtless monster. It’s what I had always been.

I had stopped absorbing Sirens, because I didn’t need to anymore, and fought with all my strength.

Derek came to stop me and I almost attacked him too, when a hand grabbed hold of mine from behind me.

I turned to see a Siren, about my height, with dark brown wings and a strange intensity in his eyes.

I tried attacking him, but a strong thrust punch on my stomach made me utter the words:

“Thanks…Kenny.” As I coughed out all the lost reason and came to.

“You almost attacked Derek” he smirked “I couldn’t see brother kill brother. That’s much too cruel”

“Don’t lose a grasp on reality, Luke” Derek spoke, grim “Have some self-control and—”

“—behind you!” I warned and pushed Derek to the side. A searing pain came into my arms.

I looked up to where a bullet had pierced my arm and then at the gunman.

A guy with elbow length curly brown hair, wearing another jacket like Flectare and holding another gun with a long nozzle, like Vorare, with an eye patch that extended to his cheek on one side of his face, stared at me, resting the gun on his shoulder.

“Sorry” he muttered. My eyes went fuzzy, and everything was a blurb “I couldn’t tell the difference between you and Derek.  I realized then that your wings differentiate you” a smile in his voice captured me and the nozzle of the gun touched my forehead.

I heard a gunshot and my eyes closed.

***A/N: All right, thoughts and comments please? I kinda need to know what you think about this one :P Thanks! As always, I love you all! :D ***