Luke-The Duty

She was beautiful in that dress. It emphasized her eyes and gave a different kind of glow to her fair skin. I was glad I was the one who chose it for her.

I’d sworn I’d snatch her away from Ken that night.

He was lucky.

I couldn’t recall ever having felt so nostalgic before. The two of us swayed perfectly to the soft tune.

“All that practice really paid off, didn’t it?” Sarah smiled

“Yup” I agreed “but you do dance well. Why did you give it up?”

“I didn’t give it up, silly” she giggled. I wanted her to call me ‘silly’ for the rest of my life “I preserved it” she sighed.

That’s right. She had told me once when we were kids that she only wanted to dance on special occasions which mattered to her.

“Then I’m glad” I grinned “because you preserved it for me”

“Not for you” she pouted “for Kenny” and looked away.

“Sure” I agreed.

It didn’t matter who she had saved it for, she was dancing with me. That’s all that mattered.

The music paused and everyone broke apart. “Sarah” I grabbed her hand before she left “Where to?”

“The…bathroom?” she looked at me awkwardly.

I let go of her hand “Oh…yeah, sure”

Derek came over, wiping a bit of lipstick off his cheek.

“You have a lot of fans”

I chuckled “Does you good, doesn’t it?”

“Yeah” he agreed “You’re the one woman type, so I guess being your twin has advantages”

“You haven’t changed” I shook my head.

“No?” he looked stunned “Damn, I was sure I’d grown at least foot longer since the last time we met”

I laughed.

“All that time…It’s like a huge pause” I continued, while we walked toward the seats “What were you doing with Aunt Jade, without even realizing where you were supposed to be?”

“She had me under…some sort of spell, I guess” his eyes looked fogged up “and we used to go to the mansion, frequently”

“You mean home” I corrected him. He shook his head.

“Home is where the heart is, brother”

I understood what he meant. With all our memories of the place…I didn't think any of us wanted to go back to there.

“Was Marigold there?” I asked after a few moments of silence.

“I’m not too sure” he looked up at me.

Marigold was Aunt Jade’s daughter.

“What I still don’t understand” Derek began “Is why she did what she did."

“Neither do I…” I agreed.

“Mind if I interrupt, guys?”

I hadn’t heard the girl who greeted us. My mind was too occupied.

“Sure” Derek grinned up to her and stood up “And who might you be?”

Sarah was taking awfully long in the bathroom.