Luke- Two hearts

How helpless was this girl? Even though I’d lived with her for so long…sheesh. She didn’t even read the label.

And that old idiot! He didn’t even tell her! He must’ve forgotten! I was glad I wouldn't be seeing him for a long time.

Her fair complexion turned into a cute shade of pink, while she put a lock of her burgundy hair behind her ear and looked at me with those huge brown-maroon eyes.

“Its…from you?”

“Yes” I sighed, looking away “I was going through a shop and my eyes fell on this and made me think of you, so I got it.”

“Oh. Thanks!” she smiled widely.

That made me smile too. Such an idiot.

“You know, the hook doesn’t go in” she began.

Complains! AAH! She didn’t like it!? No way! The Sarah I knew would love it! Unless there was some defect I never noticed before—but no! That locket was real, there wasn't any defect.

“What, you don’t like it?” I asked, concerned.

“Eh…? Are you actually worried about my likes and dislikes?” she questioned back, sarcastically.

If I’m giving it to you, then isn’t it obvious I’d be worried whether you’d like it or not? What's wrong with this woman?

“Of course not! I just...I went through all that trouble!” I scoffed, telling her.

“Don’t worry!” she smiled “I love it, but it’s kind of hard to wear...”

“So…?”

Ok. Back up. What was she implying?

“Just help me put it on, you idiot!” she was redder than a rose. It made me laugh. That made sense.

“Oh. Sure” I chuckled, and went up to where she sat in front of the mirror.

I grabbed hold of the two ends and slipped the hook into the hole.

“There” I smiled, hands across my chest. That made me feel extremely satisfied. She finally had a piece of me to keep forever. Well, as long as she lived, anyway.

“Aaaww!! It’s incredible! Thank you, Luke!” and she was so happy. She stood up and hugged me.

I hugged her back.

She was smiling the biggest smile on earth.

“Thank you, Luke. Let’s go.”

It was always this way with Sarah. She loved presents. Specially if they were something she could keep for a very long time. Something with an eternal lifespan. I'm exaggerating, of course, but it was true. She liked long lasting, durable things.

As wonderful as I felt about how happy she was with the present, there was always the risk that she'd get curious of where I got it from...

And that’s when things went down hill. She stopped at the entrance, gazing quizzically at her necklace.

“Luke, how much did you pay for it? It looks real” she asked, a scared look on her face.

“I…uh, I forgot, Sarah” I smiled, trying to cover up my lie.

“Honestly. How much?” she fixed me with that steady glare, which she did when she knew I had done something wrong.

“How does that matter? I got it for you, you needn’t worry about how much I paid for it” I shrugged, trying to divert from the topic.