Sarah: Survival for Dummies [Part ONE]

Tip number one: Even fathers can be stupid.

Tip number two: When you know what’s wrong, don’t try to wonder why. Get the hell out of there.

Tip number three: Don’t let the eagle catch you.

Last, but not the least, tip four: Flashbacks help you understand the situation better.

So, there I was, in the minivan with my father, after the visit from my supposed mother’s supposed spirit, barely two hours before finding out it was the last late night of my life.

Not a pleasing thing to hear.

What happened, exactly?

We reached the enemy’s lair—White Rose.  

“We reached back here quicker than we reached the mansion” I told my father, walking side by side toward the gates of the school.

“I found out about a detour” he sighed.

“Dad…” I sensed it in everything he did—something was off.

“Hmm?”

“Is everything all right?” I finally dared to ask. When he didn’t reply, I added:

“I mean, we’re back at White Rose. What for?”

“Kenny wanted to meet you.” He stopped walking “said he wanted to show you something.”

“We already tried that with him.” I closed my eyes “Dad, I’ve been feeling afraid of Kenny. Can we go back?”

No point in hiding stuff from your father, right?

Wrong. Fathers believe they know everything.

“Why run from your fears?” he smiled at me “You should learn to face them instead. Besides, how do you expect to fix things up between the two of you otherwise?”

He had a point.

Still, I should’ve trusted my intuition.

“All right” I sighed “But you’ll be there with me?”

He laughed “I don’t know about that. Are you really okay with me listening to you and your boyfriend fight it out?”

Again, he had a point.

He laughed at my embarrassed expression and we continued toward the boy’s dormitories.

Something had gone terribly wrong. My mother’s voice urged me inside my head, to just let things unfold as they were…but there was a haunted sense triggering in the back of my head.

We walked to the boy’s dormitories, where my father dropped me off just before Kenny’s room.

I knocked on the door uncertainly, as dad climbed down the staircase.

The door opened in a flash, where I saw a baffled looking Kenny staring at me, wide eyed.

Before I could take a breath, his strong arms grabbed me and hugged me tightly to his sturdy chest.

“Thank goodness” he kept mumbling “Oh lords. You’re safe! I don’t believe it” he pulled away and scanned my face “Tell me where you’re hurt. Tell me what’s wrong? Did anyone trouble you?”

I took a good look at his frame, leaning as far away in his grip as I could.

His hair was a literal bird’s nest, and his shirt was un-ironed, with the tie carelessly thrown to one side, lose around the neck.