Chapter Fifty

Hercule made a big show of coming out to center stage. He had changed since I had seen him in his personal hut, sporting his regular fighting clothes as compared to fancy clothes. A long white cape was draped over his shoulders, one that would be passed onto Goten once the fight was over. Hercule had his hands held high into the air, waving to his adoring fans. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. This was the last time the man would be referred to as "World Champ."

"Has he told anyone else about the retirement?" Dad asked us. We shook our heads.

"No, but he probably is going to here soon," Krillin says. "And then Goten will be the champ!"

I grinned nudging my little brother in the ribs. He smiled sheepishly, rubbing his head like Dad always does.

"Whoa, wait," Kimiko says, holding a hand up. "Mr. Satan is retiring?"

"Are you sure?" Reona asks, glancing around at us. "How do you know?"

"Uh, well you see, it's kinda funny," Gohan starts, rubbing his head now as well. "I'm married to his daughter, Videl, so we have familial ties to him. He told us before the tournament even started."

"Well shit," Mikan says, her hands on her hips. "Had I known that, I wouldn't have gone so easy on you! You probably know all kinds of crazy moves, being Herc's son-in-law and all!"

Gohan chuckled, a sound that to our new friends meant that Mikan was correct. But to the rest of us, we knew that it really was something along the lines of 'yeah, sure. Whatever you say.'

"I have an announcement to make!" Hercule suddenly says, his voice amplified by the microphone. The crowd was quiet in less than a second, yet Hercule waited, pausing for effect like he had back in his shack.

"As you all know, I have been your Champ for many years now." The crowd roared again, cheering and applauding. Hercule held up a hand, telling them to stop. When the arena was filled with silence again, he continued.

"I've come to tell you that this will be my last fight. Whether or not young Goten wins, I am retiring and he will take my place as the World Martial Arts Champion."

The silence that Hercule had asked for hung in the air even after he stopped speaking. Then, slowly at first but gaining in speed and loudness, the people in the audience stood up, clapping for the man. In no time at all, the whole arena was clapping for Hercule, including those of us standing here in the waiting room.

"Thank you for letting me serve you people for all these years! Now, let's get back to what you came here for!" Hercule handed the mic back to Eric, who was smiling at him appraisingly.

Bringing the microphone up, Eric hollered for my brother to make his way to the arena stage. We all wished him the best of luck, though each one of us, including Kimiko, Lilith, Gamma, Reona and Mikan, knew that he didn't need it. This would be his easiest fight of the whole tournament.

Hercule had ditched the cape and took up a stance on one side of the arena. Goten took the other side, a grin plastered on his face. Eric looked between the two and for the last time today, told the two to prepare.

"Ready... Set... FIGHT!"

Hercule and Goten charged at the same time, the former with his fist drawn back, waiting till he was close enough to hit the saiyan. Goten swiftly dodged under his arm, punching Hercule in the gut. Coughing and taking a few steps back, Videl's father struggled to regain his breath.

"Hmph, not bad kid," Hercule says, keeping up his usual cocky act. Goten smirked, back in his starting stance. When the Champ charged, he side stepped, lifting his foot and kicking Hercule in the rear.

Hercule went flying right over the edge of the arena, face planting in the grass. Goten lowered his leg, standing up straight. He tilted his head slightly, beginning to walk over to where Hercule had fallen off.

Right as Goten was at center stage, Hercule sprang up, small grass stains on his face. He beamed at my brother before yelling, "It looks like we have our winner!"

At that, the crowd, which had been silent, erupted with noise. People jumped up and down, screaming with joy as an official came up and placed the white cape Hercule had been wearing on Goten's shoulders. I cheered loudly for my brother as Eric swooped in, holding his hand high in victory. Trunks, Mar, Bulla, Nate and the others were jumping around with happiness, cheering as well. Not that we doubted his ability to defeat Hercule.

Goten began to turn in circles so he could see the crowd all at once. They were shouting and hollering at the top of their lungs, fist pumping the air and clapping as they looked at their new world champion. As Goten turned in his umpteenth circle, he caught sight of us back here in the waiting room. Grinning, he motioned for us come up on stage with him. Grinning back, I didn't waste any time grabbing Trunks' hand and pulling him with me. I sensed the others behind me, following as we ran out to Goten.

When I reached him, I let go of Trunk's hand, throwing my arms tightly around my little brother as I possibly could. Goten was laughing and I soon joined him.

"I'm so proud of you!" I told him, squeezing harder. Goten hugged me back, showing off by picking me up off the ground a few inches. I only laughed harder as he set me back on the ground.

"Goten!" Bulla yelled, coming up from behind us and pulling my brother in for a kiss. When they broke apart they wore a matching grin.

I backed away, but still stayed as close as I could as Mar, Nate and Trunks congratulated Goten as well. It appeared that we were the only ones who had run up on stage to be with him.

"Whoa guys, do you hear that?!" Nate suddenly says. We all got silent real quick, listening for whatever it was.

There! I heard it! The crowd was chanting a name! Goten's! No, wait more than one name, over and over! I grinned as I realized that it was all of us that were on stage. Even though Goten was the winner, they were cheering for all of us.

Abruptly, time seemed to slow. I looked around at the small amount of people standing on the stage here with me. Goten, my little brother. We'd been through so much shit together, but we'd always been there for each other. Nate and Bulla, my 'new' friends. Even though we've only known each other for about three years, I felt like it'd been a lifetime. Mar, my absolute best friend. She may not have been with me physically all those years traveling and fighting Baby, but she's had my back since she was born. Finally, Trunks, my fiance. I loved him with all my heart, more than I'd loved anyone else before. I knew that we'd be together for a very long time.

With time still moving slow, I glanced around at the people around us. My family and friends in the stands and the waiting room in front of us. The strangers in the crowd, cheering for us - strangers to them - as if they've known us for their whole lives. My smile grew and I couldn't help but think this was it. This is why we do what we do. Why we use our powers, sacrifice ourselves, and push ourselves to the absolute limit. We do it to help people, so they could live happy lives. So days like this can exist, where strangers cheer for other strangers and people you're fighting against become your friends. Where people become legends.

And legends never die. 

--------------------------------------------------------
And That's the end!!!! I just really want to thank everyone who has read this over these passed three and a half years. I know its been a rollar coaster sometimes with updates, but hey, we're finally here!!! And I can't believe it!!! Its such a bittersweet feeling to have completed this story,  but I love it!!! So again, thank you all SOOOOOOOOO much!!! Until next time!!! <3