Chapter Thirteen: The Quidditch Troll

Start from the beginning

Hagrid looked startled at Alison as if he had forgotten she was there.

“I dunno. I wasn’t  supposed to have heard it. I jus’ heard Snape sayin’ Dumbledore took too much fer granted an’ maybe he—Snape—didn’ wan’ ter do it anymore—“

“Do what?” Alison and Harry asked at the same time.”

“I dunno, sounded like Snape was a bit overworked, tha’s all—anyway, Dumbledore told him flat out he’d agreed to do it an’ that was all there was to it.”

Alison slumped her shoulders and turned away from the three of them to make her way to the common room. Snape hadn’t mentioned anything about being overworked when they had had lunch last week, or having to do something for Dumbledore. Alison gave the Fat Lady the password and went to bed with plans of asking Snape about what she had heard tomorrow at lunch.

When Alison knocked on Snape’s door Sunday afternoon she had a mission in mind. She was going to find out what was going on. Snape opened the door and allowed her in. Alison sat down in her usual seat and looked at the delicious looking sandwiches on Snape’s desk.

“Afternoon.” Snape said giving a half smile.

“Afternoon.” Alison said with a wide smile and took a sandwich.

“Hungry?” Snape asked amusement in his voice. He sat down in his chair and Alison nodded. She swallowed her bite and looked at him, “Can I ask you something?” she asked him suddenly nervous.

“Anything,” Snape said picking up on her nervousness.

Alison didn’t want to come right out and ask, that would get Hagrid in trouble, so she tried to beat around the bush, “Do you ever feel overworked?” she asked trying out a curious tone.

Snape thought for a moment and then shook his head, “No. Never.”

Alison nodded her head, “Just wondering. Trying to decide what field of work I should go into.” She said making her reason up on the spot. She already knew what she wanted to do and that was work with magical creatures.

“I have a request to make of you.” Snape said setting down his sandwich and regarding Alison carefully.

“What’s that?” she asked him.

“I want you to come with me over the Easter Holiday.” Snape said, his eyes showed nervousness, though his face was blank.

“Come with you where?” she asked him.

“To visit some old friends. I think it will be a fun experience for us.” He said giving her another half smile.

“All right,” Alison said and smiled back at him, “I’ll go.” Snape looked both pleased and disappointed at the same time.