Let the nightmare begin

Chapter 20 Let the Nightmare begin

I stood at the large double doors listening to the chatter of all the people in the ballroom. There was so much noise coming from the room I could only guess at the number of people inside. My hands were shaking from nerves but no one seemed to care that my gut was screaming for me to run away. The Queen had told me to get ready and wait outside the east wing ball room. Yeah, Ok! It took forever to find it because it was in a part of the house I’d never been to. A map would have been nice or some directions.

The dress fit nice and was so soft against my skin that I actually didn’t mind wearing it. The 6 inch heels though I could have done without. I mean who the hell thought 6 inch heels were a good idea when I’m already a nervous wreck. Since I was allowed to get ready myself I just combed my hair out straight and did just a little make-up. Not like I had time to go all out anyway. Alec and everyone else was already inside greeting people and making sure everything was safe. But I knew it wasn’t, I could almost feel Victor here. They couldn’t sense the danger like I could. Or maybe it was just me being paranoid either way I didn’t want to go.

“Are you ready Princess” a voice said shaking me out of my inner thoughts. I looked at the two vampire guards on either side of the door. They were both staring at me with blank expressions on their faces. The one on the right was about 6’2” with large arms and small waist. He looked like he was in his early 20’s but being a vampire who knows how old he really was. His dark brown hair was short with a few curls at the end, green eyes, full lips and I bet if he smiled it’d make any girl melt. The other guy was kind of scary with his dark eyes, black hair and giant body. He stood around 6’5” and looked like he could bench press a bus. His arms were covered in tattoos and he had a scar on the right side of his face. It looked like a burn or something. I really wasn’t about to ask him.

“Princess?” the guard asked again. Turning back to the other guy I swallowed my fear and nodded.

“I think so” I mumbled. He smiled then and I was right, he had a wonderful smile. Pearly white teeth, full lips and dimples that just made him look so much younger. Damn vampires and their good looks.

“Don’t worry Princess you will be safe. Alec has a guard at every door to the palace, several more throughout the ballroom and patrolling the grounds. No one will get you as long as we’re here” he said with such confidence that it was unnerving. Does he even know who he’s looking for? What Victor is or can do?

“Do you know who you are protecting me from?” I had to ask. Alec may have guards everywhere but did he explain to them that Victor can look like anyone.

“King of the Underworld, only known shapeshifter to take on any form or shape. A powerful demon that cannot be destroyed” he said almost like he was quoting it from a book. Maybe he was, maybe there was a whole book on Victor about all the things he can do. All the things he can turn into and how to kill him. If so I want to see this book, if not I’ll make one just as a reminder of what a jerk he is. Title ‘Asshole shapeshifter and how to kill him’, I think that would be a good title.

“Well at least you know” I sighed running my fingers through my hair. “Ok let’s get this show rolling” I said standing up straight as I smoothed down my dress.