There She Is

~~Readers Point Of View~~

I shrug my pack on, not wanting to ever come back here again. This is a mistake. Everything is a fucking mistake. I can't even muster the strength to hate Erwin, who I swear, harvests his own eyebrow hairs to make his disgusting, toupee looking hair.

Ooo! I like that one. I'll have to try it on him if I make it out alive.

I just can't believe I was lied to for so long. As soon as he offered to help my father in exchange for my dedication, he was lying. Was everything leading up to this mission? Was years of my life wasted only to kill for the military? Probably not. He just needed a new weapon at his disposal.

Grumble

I sigh as the familiar feeling of hunger strikes again. It wouldn't be the Underground if you weren't hungry.

I search through my pack and find some money. I can just use some of this today and save the rest for emergencies.

I push open a local tavern and walk up to the bar and sit on a stool.

"What you need?" Melv, the owner of this fine establishment grumbles in disgust. That's Melv for ya.

"Aww, Melvin. You don't recognize one of your own regulars?" I smile under my hood, knowing this'll be good.

"Of course I know all my regulars! Who are you to come in here and claim you know me when you don't even show your face!" He shouts, causing the entire diner to quiet immediately.

"Short temper on this one, ay?" I chuckle and smile at the diners that I all recognize. They immediately get defensive. I don't blame them. They're all practically family.

Everyone stands up, ready to fight. I lift my hands, causing everyone to step forward. "Relax, relax!" I raise my arms in peace and slowly take off my hood.

A collective gasp ripples around the room and everyone steps back a little. Melv on the other hand runs around the counter and pulls me into a bone-crushing bear hug.

"(Y/n)!"

I laugh and try to breathe at the same time. "Damn, Melv! You trying to kill me?" He lets me go and ruffles my messy hair. He's always liked to do that since we were kids.

"You son of a bitch! Where have you been? We all thought you were dead!" Melv demands as the diners come up in groups just to hug me or ruffle my hair, or even to punch my arm. By the end, my hair is too far gone to save.

"Let's go in the back." I don't want anyone to hear I was in the military. I would get this traitor vibe thrown at me from all over.

We walk into the back and I explain where I was and what I'm doing here. He doesn't looked surprised or even hostile towards me at all. That's why I love Melvin. I hate that I had to listen to my father and cut off all my relationships to focus on training.

I remember when my father used to work here since I was born, causing me to always be here by his side. While my father poured bear and cleaned dishes, I played with Melv, the son of the original Melvin who used to own the tavern. I guess Melv owns it now that his dad is dead, even though he's only two years older than me.

"So this sick bastard told you that your dad was dead? And gave you guys the same mission? Sounds like he wanted you to meet. Is this mission even real?" He holds his chin.

"Oh yeah this is real. This gang has been around since before we were born. No one has come close to catching the head of the snake. And I have to do it in sixteen days starting tomorrow. And then I have to kill him."

"Just so the Corps can get support of the public and more cash flow for the upcoming expedition?" He puts his hands on his hips, angry.

"Yeah."

"And they're not going to help you?"

"Nope."

"Fuck. Why the fuck did you join again?" He paced, giving me anxiety.

"So my father could live." I sigh, knowing that nothing came from my efforts. I guess he doesn't deserve to die. Just, I don't know, he's an asshole! Let's just leave it at that.

"I knew you always had a noble side." He smiled his dimpled smile at me and stepped closer.

I smiled back pulling his shirt to me. "And I knew you'd eventually get semi-attractive." I say, checking him out. I was totally lying. He was hot as fuck now. Though we still flirted like I was twelve and he was fourteen.

"Oh fuck off, (Y/n). You know you can't take those pretty eyes off me." He winks, making me laugh hard and push him off me.

"You're fucking gross, you know that right? You fail at flirting." I shake my head laughing.

"Wait? We were flirting?" He smiles innocently and I punch him in his perfect peck, causing him to die laughing. "What's this? You don't punch like a girl anymore!"

"Shut the fuck up and give me food already." I grumble.

"Yeah, yeah." He shakes his head at me and calls out. "Alyssa!"

I freeze. Wha--

And there she is. Standing there, staring at me with those same hazel eyes and that waist long auburn hair. She immediately twirls it around her wrist the way she used to when she becomes uncomfortable.

What the hell is she doing here?

"You guys know each other?" Melv asks, confused.

"A little bit." We say at once.