Fluke

~~ Eren's Point Of View ~~

"Alright, Eren! You ready?" Hanji yells from above. She reassures me that this well would keep everyone safe, which was a good thing. I keep thinking back to The Battle of Trost and how I was so deep in my thoughts, I almost killed Mikasa. I still feel that guilt every time I see the scar on her cheek.

I take a deep breath and bing my hand close to my mouth, ready to bite when I see the flare. My pulse begins to race at the thought of what would happen next. What if I get loose? They're on horse back so maybe--

BOOM

FFFFTTTTT

A green streak split the low clouds and fizzled out. That was my signal.

Taking one more deep breath I chomped down as hard as I could, bracing myself for the heat of the golden lightning.

The silence was suffocating.

I open my eyes and spit some of my blood out of my mouth. What the hell happened?!

Maybe I need to try again?

I bite again and again, ripping and tearing my skin. The pain brought me to my knees but I almost didn't notice over the overwhelming panic taking over. My bloods metallic taste coated my tongue.

Was it just a fluke? I did it three times already. What does this mean? My eyes frantically flickered around, as if looking for a way out.

"Eren?" Hanji confused voice was right above me now. I slowly looked up at her, showing her my palms.

"H-Hanji. It didn't work." My voice shook as my brain finally registered the brutality of the pain. It felt as if my hands would fall off. I didn't dare show it though. If I couldn't turn into a Titan...then what did the survey corps even need me for?

~~ Readers Point Of View ~~

Levi and I had ignored each other all morning, frequently catching each other staring. I hated it. I wanted to go up to him and clarify that I was drunk and we should forget the entire thing ever happened. I never got the chance since Eren, Levi, and his squad had to ride somewhere. No one was allowed to know where they were going or why they were going. Maybe because someone in a Survey Corps hoodie had killed Sonnie and Bean, the Titan test subjects.

"Sonnie! Beean!" Hanji screamed her head off, gripping her hair like she wanted to tear it out.

The Titan's remains were still smoking, meaning someone had just killed them. No one caught this? How was this possible? I mean I hate Titans too, but I would never kill the ones we had prisoner. Especially since our mad scientist was experimenting on them.

I saw Eren from across the chaos and he caught my eye. I noticed his dark circles and raised an eyebrow.

He just shrugged and glanced pointedly at the sobbing Hanji. I guess he was with her the entire night. Poor guy.

Suddenly Erwin came up behind Eren, placing his hands on his shoulders and leaning down to whisper in his ear. What's going on?

Finally I saw him mouth "Never mind." He looked up at me openly staring at them before standing straight again and walking away. Eren turned to watch him go with a weirded out face.

What did he say to him?

~~ Eren's Point Of View ~~

I sit with the others, gripping my freshly bandaged hands in confusion. I still have no clue what just happened. Why couldn't I turn into a titan?

"So even the hand you bit hasn't healed?" Corporal Levi's voice cuts through my thoughts.

I rub my hands again, hopping and praying that it would have healed by now. When I felt that heavy sting from the pressure of my hands, my heart sunk. "No..."

He glares so harshly I'm afraid his hand that's resting on his blade will quickly slice my head off. "If you can't turn into a Titan, your great deed of sealing Wall Maria will mean jack shit." He spat. "Eren."

He waited until I had the courage to look him in the eye. "I'm giving you an order. Do something about it."

His steel cold eyes pierces straight to my soul. "Yes, sir." I whisper timidly.

They all enjoy their tea and bread, seeming happy that I couldn't perform my only job.

"Don't beat yourself up, Eren." Eld folds his hands on the table and evaluates me.

"B-but..."

"It means you're more human than we imagined." Auro chimed in. I was confused. How could they be so calm when their so called "Humanities only hope" failed? Why were they taking this so lightly?

"It's a hell of a lot better than rushing to your death. This happened for a reason." Eld nods.

Gunther's grim voice enters the hopeless conversation. "Yeah, there's no such thing as being too careful." Auro grunts in agreement.

I'm astonished by their words. I don't get it. I was their break through. Their weapon. Their hope. What was I now?

I picked up my spoon, forgetting that my hands were injured and ended up dropping it on the grass. I really did a number on my palms.

"Are you okay?" Eld looks up from his tea with concern.

"Yeah." I sigh feeling useless as I slowly reach for my spoon on the ground.

Suddenly my a familiar yellow spark bounced on the air. My eyes widen with terror. Why NOW?!

BOOM

CRACKLE

FIIIZZZZZ