Chapter Thirty-Nine

(I'm warning you now that this chapter is more Liam-centric because I feel like he's not getting enough attention in this book and in real life so enjoy this Liam chapter. :'))

Four days had passed since Louis and Harry had enrolled Adaley into school and had adopted Elsa. Their dog had taken to sleeping on Adaley's bed and Adaley loved it, cuddling the large dog as she fell asleep. The small family was gathered in the kitchen when the doorbell rang. Adaley jumped up.

"I'll get it! It's probably Uncle Liam to get me!" She said happily and took off for the door. Louis chuckled and looked back at Harry.

"So what are you making for the party on Saturday?" Louis asked, leaning his head on his hand. Harry shrugged slightly as he sat that island, flipping through the cookbook his mother had passed down to him when she found out that he was moving to Bayville. He heard footsteps and he looked up to see Adaley dragging Liam into the kitchen. Liam looked tired. He had bags under his eyes and he seemed thinner than usual. Louis took instant notice of this and he stood up, walking closer to Liam. Liam looked down and smiled tiredly.

"Hey Lou." He mumbled and Louis sighed softly.

"Can we talk Li?" Louis asked in a low voice and Liam nodded slowly, following Louis to the study that was just down the hall. Liam collapsed onto the couch as Louis shut the door, going to sit next to his best friend.

"What's up?" Liam asked with closed eyes and Louis sighed heavily.

"What's up with you? You're looking really unhealthy." Louis said softly and gently squeezed Liam's knee, taking note of how thin his leg felt. Liam shrugged slightly.

"I don't know. I guess the break up with Sophia hit me harder than I thought. I was going to propose to her. I had the ring and everything. When she broke up with me I didn't just lose a girlfriend. I lost a best friend. I've tried moving on but I just can't. I've had one night stands and I've been on dates but nothing fucking works. I've been drinking a lot and smoking even more. I don't know, Lou. I feel like my heart is missing." Liam ranted and roughly wiped away the tears that were beginning to fall. "I'm so lost." He whispered and Louis gave his best friend a side hug.

"I know you're hurting but you need to move past this or else you'll be hurting for the rest of your life. I know you were and are completely in love with her but your love for her is killing you. Liam, you're scarily skinny and you're not yourself. You were the picture of fitness for years but now you're the picture of a break up gone wrong. I hate seeing you like this. I miss the happy Liam that used to chase me around on stage with a water gun." Louis said sadly and Liam gave him a half smile. "I think what you need is a day with your niece. Take her to her school, pick up her school work with her, and then just enjoy the day with her. Harry and I have to make arrangements at the hotel for everyone and get a menu made up for Saturday so please go have fun with her." He ordered and Liam sighed heavily but nodded.

"I'll try but I'm not promising anything though." Liam said and Louis nodded slightly. They both stood up and Louis pulled the slightly taller man into a hug.

"You know that I love you Li and I only want you to be happy and healthy. You are my brother and I don't want anything to happen to you." Louis whispered and Liam gave him a small smile.

"I love you too Lou." He murmured and both men walked back into the kitchen. Adaley ran up to Liam and anxiously tugged at his sleeve.

"C'mon Uncle Li! I wanna go get my stuff from Ms. Drake so I can start working on it!" She pressed and Liam chuckled, nodding down at her.