Chapter Seven

After the entire funeral was over Harry and Adaley stood close to the casket and were talking softly to Terrance. He hugged the older man tightly and frowned when Terrance tensed in his arms. He pulled back and studied his face closely.

"Terrance? What's wrong?" Harry whispered and looked over his own shoulder when Terrance didn't answer. Behind him stood Terrance's parents and Ryan, Katie's ex-boyfriend. Harry's jaw tensed and he picked the little girl up, holding her close as she shook slightly. Terrance's parents walked over and gave their son a sad smile.

"Hello, Terrance. We've missed you son." Terrance's father said in a deep voice and Terrance flinched slightly. Harry saw his reaction and stepped in front of Terrance, sticking his hand out for them to shake.

"Hello. I'm Harry. And you are?" Harry asked through gritted teeth. Terrance's mother smile slightly and shook his hand lightly.

"I'm Belle Cane, Terrance and Katie's mother. And this is my husband Tomas." She introduced and Harry nodded sharply. Belle attempted to look over Harry's shoulder to see her son.

"May I help you?" Harry asked and gently squeezed Adaley tightly to his side. Belle frowned.

"I'd like to talk to my son." She said harshly and Harry opened his mouth to respond when he felt a hand on his bicep.

"It's okay, Harry." Terrance said softly and Harry nodded, moving out of the way but staying next to Terrance. "What do you want?" he asked in a soft voice and Belle gave him a smile that sent shivers down Harry's back.

"We just came to say goodbye to our daughter and Ryan wanted to come say goodbye to the mother of his child." Belle explained and Harry heard a soft whimper from the little girl in his arms. He hugged her tightly and pressed a kiss to her temple. Ryan's eyes narrowed at Harry but kept quiet, letting Belle do all the talking. Terrance set his jaw and took a deep breath before speaking.

"Well you've said your goodbyes. Now you can leave." Terrance nearly spat and Belle calmly shook her head. Louis walked over and gently wrapped an arm around Harry's waist. He noticed the tension in the air and the way Adaley was hiding in Harry's neck. Belle's eyes flashed over towards Louis before looking back at Terrance.

"We've also come to collect our granddaughter." She said in a firm voice and Terrance looked at her in horror.

"You're not taking her anywhere." Terrance snapped and Belle rolled her eyes.

"Yes we are. We're her legal guardians. Ryan is her father." Belle said sharply and everyone heard the soft sob that came from the terrified little girl. Harry's jaw clenched and he looked at the smirking woman in front of him.

"You're not taking Adaley anywhere. She is mine and Louis' daughter." Harry said calmly and Belle snorted softly, rolling her eyes.

"You may think she is but she'll be safer with Tomas, Ryan, and I than with the likes of you two." She said with a tone that was dripping in disgust and Harry flinched slightly, making Belle grin in triumph. "Now, if you don't mind. Adaley will be coming with us now. Come on, little one." She said, gripping Adaley's arm and making the little girl whimper softly. Harry pried Belle's hand off of Adaley's arm before handing the little girl to Louis. He leaned down and told him to take Adaley to the car, stepping in front of the pair when Belle made a move for them.

"I don't think so. According to the state of California Adaley Cane is my daughter. In November I adopted her with Katie's written permission." Harry said, standing up straighter and smirking to himself when Belle recoiled in shock.

"We'll see about that. We'll be contacting our lawyers and we'll be fighting this. We will be getting our granddaughter back." Belle snapped and Harry chuckled softly, nodding slightly.

"Until then none of you will not have any contact with me, Louis, Terrance, or Adaley at all. If you do then I will report you for harassment. Now, unless you want to be escorted out you will leave." Harry said, fists clenching by his sides. "Or I will have Paul show you to your car." He said shortly and Paull appeared beside him, blocking the family's view of Adaley and Louis. Belle gave him a look of disgust before Ryan ushered her and Tomas away, glancing back at his daughter one last time. Harry didn't let his guard down until the three were out of sight. When he saw their car driving off he turned around and wrapped his arms tightly around Louis and Adaley, gently kissing both of their heads. Louis nuzzled his face into Harry's neck and sighed heavily.

"Daddy?" Adaley asked softly and sniffled. "I wanna go home." She whispered and Harry nodded, kissing her forehead.

"Let's say our goodbyes to Terrance and everyone else, okay?" Harry asked softly and Adaley nodded, reaching out for him. He lifted her out of Louis' arms and settled her on his hip. It took them a good 30 minutes to say goodbye to everyone and make their escape. Both Harry and Louis knew that they forgot to say goodbye to some people but they could tell that Adaley was getting overwhelmed and Harry didn't want to stress her out anymore. On the drive home Adaley fell asleep and everything was silent until Louis spoke up.

"Do you really think Belle, Tomas, and Ryan will try to take us to court for custody of Adaley?" Louis asked in a low voice and Harry let out a heavy sigh.

"I think so but I will make sure to get the best lawyer out there. As long as I'm alive they'll never get her. With them she will be unsafe and unhappy. I like to think that with us she's happy and feels safe and loved." Harry said softly and quickly looked at Adaley in his rear-view mirror before looking back at the road. "No matter what they do she will always be our daughter." He murmured and Louis nodded in agreement, gently grabbing Harry's hand and holding it tightly. A sense of calm flooded Harry's body as he felt Louis' hand fit perfectly into the grooves of his own, almost like two puzzle pieces fitting together perfectly.