Chapter Eighteen

Harry tried to act normal through dinner but Louis could sense that something was off with not only Harry but Adaley too. Louis tried to offer to do the dishes but Harry picked them up without a word and disappeared into the kitchen.

It's almost like he's a robot. Louis thought to himself and turned to talk to Adaley but his mouth snapped closed when he saw that she had already left the table. He stood up and walked into the kitchen. Harry was at the sink scrubbing a plate vigorously.

"Keep scrubbing like that and you'll take the paint off." Louis said lightly. Louis' voice made Harry jump and he dropped the plate onto floor, causing it to shatter. Harry dropped to his knees and started the pick the pieces up. Louis gasped and rushed to Harry's side. "Stop. You'll cut your hand." He warned but Harry paid him no mind. He didn't even notice when one of the pieces cut his hand until Adaley let out a gasp.

"Daddy! You're bleeding!" Adaley whimpered and her voice seemed to snap Harry out of his trance. He looked down to see blood from his fist dripping onto the floor. He opened his tightly closed fist and the bloody pieces fell from his hand. Louis frowned as he looked at Harry's still bleeding hand. He looked up at Adaley to see her pale as a sheet and still staring at Harry's hand with a horrified expression.

"Princess, I need you to look at me." Louis said gently and Adaley slowly looked up at Louis, Adam's apple bobbing furiously. Louis gave her a comforting smile. "I need you to get my phone from mine and Daddy's room. While I'm helping Daddy I need you to call Liam, okay?" he asked her and she nodded slowly before running off to the bedroom. She grabbed Louis' phone and put in the pass code, which happened to be her and Harry's birthday, and quickly tapped on Liam's name. As she walked back to the kitchen Liam picked up.

"Louis? What's up?" Liam answered and Adaley sniffled softly.

"Uncle Liam? It's Adaley. Daddy got hurt and Papa wanted me to call you." Adaley said, voice cracking halfway through her sentence. Liam frowned deeply and cleared his throat.

"Please hand the phone to your papa." Liam asked gently and Adaley nodded, handing over the phone. Louis pressed the device to his ear.

"Yeah?" Louis asked as he helped Harry stand up.

"What happened?" Liam asked as he started to get some clothes on. Louis let out a heavy sigh.

"Harry was washing dishes and I guess I scared him and he dropped a plate. He started to pick the pieces up with his hand and one cut his hand." Louis quickly explained and Liam was nodding slowly.

"I'll be there in about five minutes." Liam said quickly and hung up the phone. Louis looked up at Harry whose face was contorted in pain. Harry's eyes quickly flickered over to Adaley and Louis understood his silent words. Louis walked over to the terrified looking Adaley and kneeled down, blocking her view of the mess and of Harry.

"Princess, why don't you go get your shower? You've got lessons with Ali tomorrow so you've gotta be up early." Louis said sweetly and Adaley frowned, trying to see past Louis.

"Is Daddy gonna be okay?" Adaley asked as fear flashed through her eyes. Louis smiled and chuckled softly.

"Your daddy's been through a lot more than this. I promise he'll be fine. You go get your shower. Liam will be over soon and he'll stay with you while Daddy and I go get his hand looked at." Louis said as he took her small hand in his and started down the hall. Adaley shook her head and stopped walking, looking up at Louis with a frown.

"I wanna go with." Adaley said defiantly and Louis sighed and shook his head.

"You can't sweetheart. You need to get ready for lessons tomorrow." Louis said and tried to get Adaley to start walking again.